Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did I see on Lake Cumberland tonight

its an otter i have had one in the jamestwn area come up right at dark just to see what we were doing in the boat. it was kwel to see it swimming around my boat afer about 20 mins it tood off like a bat out of somehwere. whenever it dove it would smack its tail on the water

Post Thanks / Like

Gar?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Jim; sounds like a beaver. They can fool ya. There's one that lives in Miles Park, and the first time I saw him, it took me a while to figure out what he was.

Post Thanks / Like

Definatly a beaver. Laurel lake is full of them and you can see them swimming around all night. When they dive they will usually make a big splash with thier tail. Did you notice any of that?

Post Thanks / Like

On down the road a little ways I was fishing Dale Hollow one night and I had an expereince. This was not in the water but it was on land. I was fishing just off the bank across from Trooper Island and I kept hearing something in the woods has I was trolling down the bank fishing. After a little bit it came rushing down toward the water and the thing GROWLED like a tiger! My first thought was it had to be a Bob Cat but it just sounded a lot bigger. Someone told me later that there had been some Cougars turned loose in the park to take care of the deer populaton. I wished I would have took and turn the spot light on it but I didn`t. Probably a good thing, I was fishing by my self and if I had spotted the cat I might would have lost a pole or two trying to get the boat started up.

Post Thanks / Like

Most likely a river otter they do dive as you say this one did and they like to play mind games with you at that. I had one snatching fish out of a floating basket one year down in norhtern Alabama. He would slip that paw up from the bottom as pretty as you please. as far as gator or croc the other folks are right they do not up end to dive and if a beaver does it normally slaps his tail at the same time as a warning to other animals in his group.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MsgMills View Post
    A guy here in Ky I believe last year, shot a croc or aligator that was placed in a small lake he was fishing. He was Bass fishing and as he was trying to land the fish the animal grab it and ate his catch. He went up to the house and got a 22 rifle and went back and shot the animal. It was about 3 or 4 feet long. I believe the story was in the Courier-Journal, where I read the article.
    I remember that story. I believe the guy was with his son. I remember him saying that they would wade parts of the lake/pond and he was glad he didn't that day!

Post Thanks / Like

could be a gator.. look what was found in one of the local creeks near me last week...

http://www.wsaz.com/home/headlines/8027902.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tracker4stroke View Post
    its an otter i have had one in the jamestwn area come up right at dark just to see what we were doing in the boat. it was kwel to see it swimming around my boat afer about 20 mins it tood off like a bat out of somehwere. whenever it dove it would smack its tail on the water
    If it was smacking its tail on the water it was a beaver. That is their way of warning other beavers of danger.(just watch animal planet ha ha ) Cumberland is FULL of them All the heads of the creeks have been stripped by the beavers. Just look around (in years past) and wonder hey where did the willow trees go to. The stumps are there but the beavers have clear cut all of them . Now that the lake is down more of them are moving to the main lake.Also they have a lodge under the maintainence dock behind jamestown marine. Same at the state dock. There is a pair in mill springs cove and the one above it .

Post Thanks / Like

Okay I've kept everybody on a string long enough. It is not a beaver or an otter. It is a Brown Fuzzy Whatsit. I raised it in an aquarium at home till it started getting out and trying to breed the dog. So it came down to turning it loose or paying a high priced dog psycholigist.
    I couldn't turn it loose in Herrington because of the danged pig monster, so to Cumberland it went. It has been trained to attack only wave runners so if it comes up to your boat don't worry. If it craws in don't be afraid, it only wants to ride. And oh yea...... It likes to drive the boat.