Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What did I see on Lake Cumberland tonight

In kentucky we don't have gators or crocks but what I seen tonight makes me think there is one in Lake Cumberland, I was fishing this evening right before the rain set in and something came down the lake swimming with its head aboove the water but when it seen me or a boat it went under and when it did its backend came up as it was going down and it had a long tail, the in about a minute it resurfaced a couple hundred yards and that swam on down the point. I have seen some large turtles but this was not a turtle, any ideas?

BTW I was fishing at Mill Springs which is close to Conley Bottom area.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did I see on Lake Cumberland tonight

Quote Originally Posted by tango3065 View Post
    In kentucky we don't have gators or crocks but what I seen tonight makes me think there is one in Lake Cumberland, I was fishing this evening right before the rain set in and something came down the lake swimming with its head aboove the water but when it seen me or a boat it went under and when it did its backend came up as it was going down and it had a long tail, the in about a minute it resurfaced a couple hundred yards and that swam on down the point. I have seen some large turtles but this was not a turtle, any ideas?

BTW I was fishing at Mill Springs which is close to Conley Bottom area.

Large Beaver..?? Large Snake..?? Have seen some Copperheads that would go 4 feet long on Cumberland.. Mink? OR even a Croc.. but very unlikely. There was one on Dale Hollow a few years back and one in the Kentucky River.. but a Croc does not go head down throwing its tail up it just sinks.. and then swims away. Sounds like a beaver the more I think about it.
    Jim Dicken

Post Thanks / Like

For sure not a snake it had a tail that was smaller than its body and I am pretty sure it had legs.

Post Thanks / Like

i've seen several beavers on cumberland , hard to put a weight on them but maybe 25 , 35 lbs. ? as big as a medium size dog ?

Post Thanks / Like

I saw something similar on KY River the other night.. it got close enough for me to see it and as far as I could tell, it was a river otter. But Ive never seen one before up close, so who knows.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen many beaver while fishing in Cumberland. This last winter I did happen to see my first Otter working along the shoreline. They swim with their heads above water and do arch their back and display their tail when diving. We were in the back of a creek and this one once he got into the very back went into a zig-zag from one side to the other till he rached the end and turned around and swam on past us and went on his way. Very interesting to watch.

Post Thanks / Like

A guy here in Ky I believe last year, shot a croc or aligator that was placed in a small lake he was fishing. He was Bass fishing and as he was trying to land the fish the animal grab it and ate his catch. He went up to the house and got a 22 rifle and went back and shot the animal. It was about 3 or 4 feet long. I believe the story was in the Courier-Journal, where I read the article.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey MSGMILLS, that reminded me that several years ago there was a Lock Ness type being lurking in Bartons Run on Nolin. Several people reported that it tried to get in their boat, one even had to beat it off with a paddle; some others took shots at it. There were various descriptions of it besides looking like Nessy, a couple thought it was a Bear' others thought it was a Crock (the swimming kind) and several other things I don't remember. That was reported in the C-J also but no one ever did actauly catch the thing, that is why they thought it was like Nessy. It was only there for one Summer and then was never heard from again. Makes you wonder what lurks in our lakes!!

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

otter

Post Thanks / Like

I have a pic of the otter I saw in KY river, if someone can tell me where to email it, I ll be happy to send it.

Post Thanks / Like

Striper-Squirrel hybrid? (LOL)

Post Thanks / Like

waterdog