Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outboard Oil

Post Thanks / Like

Outboard Oil

Got a 03 tracker with a 75 Merc and have always used Merc Premium Plus oil. Trying to save a little money I bought a galon of Quicksilver Preum oil for 19.00 vs 25.00 for Merc. I didn't notice at the time but the Quicksilver does not say plus after premium. Just wondering if any of you guys use this oil and would it be OK to mix it in the oil injection tank? Both are TCW-3

rustedhook

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Outboard Oil

I've got the exact same motor and when I bought it (used) they told me to only use Mercury oil. Well, for the most part I have, but last year a mechanic told me that Mercury oil was no better than other oils. So for about 3 months last year I used whatever oil was cheapest and never had any problems. This year I started using only Mercury oil...why?....I guess I just like that cool black bottle. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Well i guess I'll use this galon and go back to Merc premiun plus

rustedhook

Post Thanks / Like

Please check your private messages, rustedhook.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

rustedhook

Post Thanks / Like

quicksilver is mercury oil,they did a test on oils in bass and walleye mag a few years back and they said all oils have to meet marine industry standards so one is as good as the other,that excluded dfi oils.my dad and i use pennzoil.his motor sets and it hasn't rusted up,i run the crap out of mine and it hasn't blowed.they told my dad mercury would not honor the warranty and they would take oil samples if there was a problem but they actually can't do that,but if they get you to pay 20 for a gallon of merc oil instead of 11 for a gallon of pennz thaen they come out ahead.you can use any that is tcw3 rated.heck i got a 4.5 i used lawnboy oil in for years and it still has the hone marks in the cylenders.

Post Thanks / Like

penzoil has a premium plus version that Walmart carries. I too have been looking for a lower cost oil. Premium plus came out in mid-late 90s if memory serves me right, and motors lasted fine before it was around. Oils in general are far much better than they were 25 years ago due to technology, so your generic TCW-3 is as good as or better than regular quicksilver was 20 years ago.
    2 cents

Post Thanks / Like

Merc and Quicksilver oil is the same only in a different color container. Only Merc dealers may sell Merc oil in the black jug. Quicksilver is sold by non Merc dealers. The premium Quicksilver you bought is different than the Premium plus Merc, but Premium plus Quicksilver is the same as Merc Premium plus.

Post Thanks / Like

Z Frog is correct. Merc and Quicksilver are the same. Quicksilver was created so Mercury could sell oil at Big Box stores and not violate their dealer agreements by putting Mercury in non-mercury dealers.

Just be carefull, make sure you are using the correct standard of oil, the last thing you want to do is use car oil in your boat and cause a few thousand dollars in damage over a few dollars saved

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Matt,

I know you know what you are talking about, so I want to ask this, when did Merc. buy quicksilver?

The reason I ask is that in '95, when I bought my Stratos, it had an Evenrude on it. Evenrude as a Johnson motor, and I was told to use Johnson's quicksilver oil.

Was quicksilver made by Merc. back then too?

Man, you can get behind on stuff quick.

Thanks,

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

i'm not matt danny but when my dad bought his boat mercxr4 rig in 89 the quicksilver oil is what they said to use in it,i thought quicksilver had been a mercury marine trademark for years but maybe there's something i didn't know.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CTFSHWHISKER!!

I certainly don't know, and have no idea at this point... LOL

I'm probably spending extra money buying the Merc Optimax Oil too... LOL

Danny