Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outboard Oil

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Outboard Oil

if you have an optipop you arent wasting money. my buddy just had to replace his powerhead that blew all too heck because he was using the cheaper quicksilver oil from wal-mart instead of the opti oil.the system doesn't pump it right or something is what merc told him.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick note to back up some of the others, when working in Baton Rouge some years back I had to do a special assignment inside an oil refinery, I worked for an asbestos abatement company and anything built prior to the 80s was required to have asbestos insulation by law and then they made a law that it had to be removed in the mid eightys as foreman of my crew I had to go to the main office and sign off on disclaimers and insurance papers and all of the usual cock and bull. We could not take in cameras and we were made to sign a form saying we would not make public statement about brand names or trucks that were coming in and out. so to make an already long story a little shorter, when the fuel trucks came in they would all line up going to the same resupply lines no matter what brand name they had on the side, Shell, Gulf, Texaco, you name it brand names did not change the real deal.

Post Thanks / Like

The old (1980) 90hp Merc still runs good and been using Quicksilver Premium Plus for @ least the last 7-10 years. Might check over @ BPS. The circular I just got in the mail says they have it on sale for $14.88/gallon.

Post Thanks / Like

Danny,
    I'm not sure about the history of it, but I have always been under the impression Mercury has controlled Quicksilver for a while, but I could be wrong. The way this came to my attention was back in 2002 when we purchased Elsmere Marine. They stocked both Merc and Quicksilver. Filters, oil, etc, I noticed we never sold the quicksilver and asked why we sold it and what it was. That's when I was informed what it was. Since then we have fazed out the Quicksilver.

The way I look at it, If I spent $5-12,000 on a motor, I would use the name brand associated with that engine all the time. If I could save $5 per gallon 20 times per year, it would take about 40 years of savings to make up for a blown engine. Spend the money on the real deal and count the extra $100 per year as a maintnance investment in your boat.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Matt and CTFSHWHISKER,

I'll keep buying the opti-oil. The reason is just as Matt explained, and the fact there used to be a Merc mechanic on the boat board, Tony I think, who said the Opit oil is made specially with smaller molecules to make them easier for injection.

I may have explained that incorrectly, it has been some time since I read that.

Thanks again guys..... I really can't afford a rebuild now on my retirement money... LMAO
    Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Outboard Oil

I know one thing DO NOT USE Supertech brand from WALMART,it says TCW-3 but it is crap .I toasted my weedeater from using that oil in it ,thank God I only used 1 pint in my 40 Johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Outboard Oil

I have used Wal-Mart oil for years ( since the late seventies) and never had a problem. I have never owned an oil injection motor however, and have mixed oil since my teenage years on both my boats and my dad's many years ago. My brother mixed oil once back in the seventies and blew my dad's Johnson 120 HP. He blamed it on the oil we were using, but I think otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used Quicksilver Oil in my oil injection 01 Merc since I bought it without any problems. I did also just find some wood and gave it a pretty good whack.