Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

KDFWR Seeking info on dead bears

Frankfort, Ky. – The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources is seeking information concerning three recent black bear deaths in southeastern Kentucky.
    The first bear was discovered in late June on a power line right-of-way in McCreary County. Tire marks and a lack of blood at the scene indicated the bear was killed elsewhere and the carcass dumped at this location. “Field necropsy revealed one or more shotgun wounds to the back and abdomen, indicating that this obviously was not a defensive act,” said Steven Dobey, black bear biologist for Kentucky Fish and Wildlife.
    Two more black bears were found early this month. On July 4, Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Conservation Officers found the carcass of a large male bear close to Parker’s Mountain in Wayne County near the Tennessee state line. Dobey said the bear was shot in the back of the head. “This indicated the bear was likely shot while feeding or walking away,” he explained. Again, this bear was killed elsewhere and dumped at the site where it was later discovered.
    On July 6, the carcass of yet another bear was located in the back yard of a Harlan County residence near Eolia. The five-year-old, approximately 300-pound male bear was a study animal in an ongoing cooperative research project between Kentucky Fish and Wildlife and the University of Kentucky. The bear, which was still wearing its radio collar, was found about 60 yards from a house . The cause of death is still under investigation.
    Black bears are making a comeback in the Commonwealth after disappearing from the state a century ago due to habitat loss and unregulated harvest. While their return will continue to have significant biological and economic benefits, these will be lessened in areas where poaching is a factor.
    “Human-bear conflicts tend to peak at this time of the year as bears are moving extensively. The department does not want people to take matters into their own hands,” said Dobey. “We are requesting any information from the public regarding these incidents.”
    Black bears are protected in this state as there is currently no hunting season. Poaching of a black bear is punishable by fines up to $1000, one year in jail, and the loss of hunting privileges for up to three years.
    Anyone with information about the bear mortalities may call the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife law enforcement hotline at 1-800-25-ALERT.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: KDFWR Seeking info on dead bears

how in the heck are killers moving this large of an animal.

Post Thanks / Like

Gonna get some heck raised on this comment! I am a fisherman and a hunter who obeys the law of the land. I have never broken any laws concerning fishing hunting, or any other matter, but if a hungry black bear enters the yard where my family gathers and my children play I am going to make the choice that probably 99% of you would, hmmm duh!!!!! Especially after a child was recently eaten by one!! Same thing if a rattle snake, wolf, coyote, skunk etc....Ok now fire away...no pun intended.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: KDFWR Seeking info on dead bears

Whats the story on the eaten child?

Post Thanks / Like

There were actually 2 cases this year of children killed by Black Bear, 1 girl in the Smokies and another a boy in a state park campground. I'll research for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

http://blog.kingsoutdoorworld.com/20...d-boy-in-utah/

http://www.imagesbuilder.com/gsmnp/b...n-smokies.html

Sorry I don't see the economical or biological benefit that the University of KY and the KDFWR see. These animals kill humans....
    Last edited by Wichita; 07-12-2007 at 11:07 PM. Reason: more info added

Post Thanks / Like

The smokies attack was on a school teacher and happened about five years ago. It is the only person ever killed by a bear in the history of the park which is amazing considering the amount of visitors the park gets and the number of bears.

There was a young girl killed in the Cherokee National Forest last year. The young boy killed in Utah was recent. All that being said, these KY bears appear to be shot for the thrill of it and then dumped elsewhere.

I agree that I would do what I had to do to protect myself and my family, but with the extremely low number of attacks, I don't see the bears as a big threat.

BTW, when they have the first drawing for a KY bear tag, I will be the first in line.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a bad deal. Too bad we don't know all the facts. The "Dept" is tough to figure out sometimes. Sometimes they ask for help- other times they give ya "we're the experts" so "we know what's best" routine. The folks that live on those hills and hollers remember quite well the guy that asked, actually pleaded for the Dept to rid him of a bear, called the sheriff and other LE to no avail. He finally had had enough and got rid of the bear himself- and got a huge fine in the process. You only get ONE chance to burn a fella from the hills!! Perhaps just another case of SHOOT SHOVEL and SHUT-UP.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it this easy to see bears in the far eastern hills of KY, that someone with a rifle can get several in a few weeks? Off the subject, but I know the Elk project went well and Hunt Guides and Fish and Game are getting an economic boost from it, but I don't see where a huge gain (other than generality of return to natural wildlife state, which I support) would be seen for any species specific management. If the state has forest to support a once inhabited animal then manage them properly to establish population. I don't know if bears are anygood to eat, and its apparent the shooters here weren't intending to eat them.
    We got too many coyotes and they let you shoot them anytime. We got too many domestic cats running around, but you might get in trouble for shooting them, cause they might be a neighbors.... where do you draw the line.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,

I have not spent a lot of time in eastern KY but a descent amount. Most of it has been elk hunting, informally guiding elk hunters and deer hunting. While I agree not much has come to the local economy from the elk but I think that is due to lack of effect or lack of ideas. I certainly feel like the opportunity is there but few have really taken advantage of it. I have not seen many bears at all (only one) but I do know they are around in the areas I hunt. If you have not made it up to elk country I would suggest you go sometime to have a look see. If you have not seen elk in the wild before I think you will be impressed at the size and beauty of these magnificient animals. I know my first experience was something I will never forget. In a nut shell, drove up the mountain and rolled down the window and was immediately greeted by 5 different bulls bugling like crazy. It will make the hair on the back of you neck stand straight up. All I can say is WOW.

See ya,

Marty