Search Fishin.com

Thread: Cataract Fall

Post Thanks / Like

Cataract Fall

Have anybody attempted to get to the fall from the main lake at Cataract by boat? I thought about checking it out but was wondering if I should borrow an aluminum boat for the trip. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cataract Fall

I was at the falls 2 weeks ago. When I was there then, the water was so low going down the creek that not even a john boat would get to the falls. You would have had to get out and push the boat. There were places that the creek was only about 4 feet wide. I dont know if it has changed but at least that is what I know of it from 2 weeks ago. I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cataract Fall

Was the lake at full summer pool then? I called the park office yesterday and they said the lake is at full summer pool.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cataract Fall(s)

When this reservoir is at summer pool, it is basically empty from the Cunot ramp all the way back to the falls. You could get back to the falls in a jonboat or canoe, but not a loaded out fishin boat.

The "channel" is only about 3ft deep past the IN-42 bridge, and it slowly drops off to non-navigable.

This reservoir is managed completely for flood control. Summer pool is 639asl and flood pool is 705asl . And believe me, they will take it up 65ft with no sweat. I can think of no other reservoir in the area that fluctuates level so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cataract Falls

Wow, I haven't been to the lake myself but was told that there are no shoreline cover and the fishing is not good. Now I knows why. Hey thanks for the info and for noticing my spelling error.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cataract Falls

Quote Originally Posted by idbefishing View Post
    Wow, I haven't been to the lake myself but was told that there are no shoreline cover and the fishing is not good. Now I knows why. Hey thanks for the info and for noticing my spelling error.
    Was there around the 2nd or 3rd week of June and made it all the way up to the falls in a bass boat without incident. Haven't been back since though to see if it has changed. And the definition of 'fishing not good' must be in the eye of the beholder. We caught quite a few that day and had a friend do even better the week after we were there. I thought it was a pretty decent lake.