Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Info for Prairie Creek

I'm looking everywhere for info on Prairie Creek. You gents know anything about it??? I've been told smallies roam there, but I cannot find any information even on the DNR website. Maybe it's on a need to know basis. I also heard something about an mph restriction?

I usually fish Kokomo, and it has been tough for a few weeks. Can't seem to figure out the adjustment I need to make when there is shad fry making the entire surface look like a boiling pot of water.

Any ideas for this jig fisherman to try out would be really appreciated.

Tight Lines, Carp

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Info for Prairie Creek

Well, the reason you didn't find any info is because it's not IDNR property. It's own by a water company and the ramp is leased to the city of Muncie and they charge you 5 bucks to use the ramp. It's true that smallmouth and largemouth used to roam there in big number. Now there is nothing but carps and walleyes, it's truely a sad story. There is a 20mph speed limit. Don't waste your time and money. I'm not even going to discuss what the thousand of pontoons going to do to ya.

Post Thanks / Like

Most ppl who used to fish PC now fish Summit. It's true about the carp and walleye. That being said, I work with a guy who 3 years ago caught a 5lb smallie at PC but that was a fish of a lifetime! I also have a buddy who fishes weekday tourney's on PC and Summit and he skips most of the tourney's on PC. There are some nice crappie's there though! Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firstrock View Post
    Most ppl who used to fish PC now fish Summit. It's true about the carp and walleye. That being said, I work with a guy who 3 years ago caught a 5lb smallie at PC but that was a fish of a lifetime! I also have a buddy who fishes weekday tourney's on PC and Summit and he skips most of the tourney's on PC. There are some nice crappie's there though! Good luck!
    You're right about the pressure on Summit, if you don't fish for bass there very often and not know what's going on. You're in for a major disappointment. Here's the dialog I've been having with the district fishery biologist. Apparently, the carps are here to stay boys. I'm crossing my fingers and really hopes that the bass population makes a come back, which I highly doubt it, because I lives 10 mins away and it sure would lessen the pressure on Summit.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, July 23, 2007 08:47
    To: ***********
    Cc: Braun, Ed
    Subject: RE: Prairie Creek Reservoir

Lance,

Walleye is the only species being stocked because we will only stock species that can utilize the habitat available within the reservoir.
    Bass and bluegill do not do well in the reservoir because they need to spawn in shallow water, and you're right, because of carp and the lack of appropriate habitat, they do not reproduce very much. However, crappie spawn at much deeper depths and they are generally more successful in reservoirs. We also stock walleye because they are effective predators for gizzard shad and small carp, among other things.

Unfortunately, removing carp with an electrofishing boat is not an effective method for removal because we could not remove enough to prevent the large spawning event that would take place after such an occurrence. The only effective method for removal is using a piscicide; however, that is not an option. An option that you may be interested in is promoting a tournament for catching carp. This fish is becoming more and more popular as a game fish because they are good fighters and there have been tournaments in other parts of the state and country that have generated a lot of interest in fishing for them. Since there is such a large carp population, that may not be a bad idea.

I don't think that the shad population was influenced much by the drawdown. Last year we caught just as many as we usually do when we set our nets. Gizzard shad are similar to carp in that the only effective way to remove them is using a piscicide.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks,

Angie Grier

Sent: Friday, July 20, 2007 11:05 AM
    To: Grier, Angela

Angela, thanks for the quick reply. Why is walleye is the only species being stocked? I understand it's a water supply reservoir and pesticide is not a way to control the carp. During the hot days of summer, you would not find too many game fish in the shallow which is covered with carps. I think an electrofishing boat can eliminates lots of carps without hurting the game fish. If additional manpower is needed to do that, myself and many fisherman in this area would be more then willing to help out. Did the draw down over the winter to build the new ramp a couple years ago killed much of the shad?

Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2007 19:07
    To: *******
    Cc: Braun, Ed

Dear Mr. C,

Thank you for your interest in Prairie Creek's fishery. We are always happy to answer questions about what we do. As you probably know, Prairie Creek Reservoir is used to provide water to Muncie. Because of that reason, we are somewhat limited in some of our management strategies. Unfortunately, we cannot use pesticides to kill the gizzard shad and carp in the reservoir. That left us with the option of stocking another predator into the reservoir that would hopefully help to control the booming population of carp and gizzard shad while at the same time providing a new sportfishing opportunity for that part of the state.
    Unfortunately, two summers ago there was a very large fish kill that primarily affected large walleye and white bass. This fish kill was the result of a common bacterial infection that negatively affected the fish because they were stressed by the uncommonly warm water that summer.
    Because of the fish kill, the reservoir has been slow to recover. It takes time for fish to grow large enough to replace those that were lost two years ago and in the meantime, the carp and gizzard shad have not had as many predators to keep their numbers down.

We are conducting an angler survey in Prairie Creek Reservoir this summer and so far, the vast majority of anglers have reported catching a number of largemouth bass, crappie, bluegill, walleye, catfish, etc. No one has complained about not catching fish during the survey, although many people share your concern about too many carp in the reservoir.
    Chances are, the smallmouth bass that you observed was old or stressed by warm water temperatures. Large fish, particularly those that are not often found in reservoirs (like the smallmouth bass) do not handle stress well.

We are hoping that the reservoir will continue to improve as we continue stocking walleye. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to call me.

Thanks,

Angela C. Grier

District 4 Assistant Fisheries Biologist Indiana Department of Natural Resources
    1353 S. Governor's Dr.
    Columbia city, IN 46725

To: DFW
    Subject: Prairie Creek Reservoir

Dear Mr or Ms.

I am writing this in regard to Prairie Creek Reservoir located in Muncie, IN. I would like to know what is the state's management strategies or goals for this body of water if there are any? This reservoir was once a great fishery with large populations of big largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, crappie and pan fish, there were white bass in there also. Now it is completely ruined, one can hardly catch any game fish from that place. The predominant fish in there are carps, shads and walleyes. I believes the walleyes are stock annually and definetely doesn't reproduce. The shallow areas are covered with carp, there is no way any game fish can spawn with the carp rooting and destroying the nesting areas. Are there and will there be anything can be done to fix the damages done to the lake? About two years ago, I saw the biggest smallmouth bass I've ever seen in person in that lake. The sad part was that it was real sickly looking and was dying and floating on the surface. Thank you.

Lance C.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Post Thanks / Like

Fish

I've fished pcr since the 70s never seen smallmouth caught. Don't mean it never happened though. But to only walleye and carp being there is wrong. It has a healthy catfish population of the major 3 flathead channel and blue. Also white and or striped bass. This spring in the shallow south end my nephew and I caught a lot of nice sized largemouth. Along with walleye there is also perch. So I don't know how often these folks fish prairie Creek reservoir but to say it has only 2 major fish is incorrect. I've have volumes of fish pics from there as I never take any fish home. I've caught and still do tons of smallies from white river that the reservoir drains into as well as the

occasional walleye.