Search Fishin.com

Thread: Shakey head

Post Thanks / Like

Shakey head

The last few weeks I've been catching some decent fish at CC on shakey heads but one place I'm fishing has trees close by and if you don't get these fish up they hang you up. Its hard to move these fish on spinning gear. Just wondering if anybody has ever tried to fish a shakey head on bait casting gear? In the winter they are no problem but a 4 or 5 pounder bulldogs in 80 degree water.

rustedhook

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shakey head

I use bc only on the shaky head with 10-17# test I even use the old 2500c Garcia with 8# amd 1/8oz head and can horse them out to some degree if they get in the lumber just keep a steady pull on them most of the time they will come up. Joe G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rustedhook View Post
    The last few weeks I've been catching some decent fish at CC on shakey heads but one place I'm fishing has trees close by and if you don't get these fish up they hang you up. Its hard to move these fish on spinning gear. Just wondering if anybody has ever tried to fish a shakey head on bait casting gear? In the winter they are no problem but a 4 or 5 pounder bulldogs in 80 degree water.

rustedhook
    I know what you mean rustedhook,I have lost a few big ones on that spinning reel--now i only fish it the open water areas at cc--But it is fun to hook the big ones on it even if they get away from you

Post Thanks / Like

i have also used bait casting gear but the technique works best with the spinning gear i beleive. upgrade to 10# flourocarbon and keep steady pressure and the spinning gear should be fine. use 6'6" rod with a MH rating and you should be able to pull the bass + the trees out if needed. hope this helps. good luck and let us know what you do and results obtained.

Post Thanks / Like

i use shaky heads with baitcasters with no problems

Post Thanks / Like

UYKY is correct, use 10# floro, like P line floroclear, this stuff is tuff and just work the fish, I caught an 11lbr on 10lb in a tree and got her out, it took a while but I got her. Thats why they call it finese fishing as sometime after the bite you have to finese them to the boat. However the new clear braid from Berkley might be the trick for the thick stuff, haven't tried it yet and if anybody has let me know how it worked. Also spinning gear is the best way to use the shakey, but mainly use what you are comfortable with and have confidence in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    What kind of worms do you all use with your shakey heads? I only used them for sight fishing, I'd bite a white trick worm with about 4" left.
    Zoom trick worms and Berkley shakey head worms both in natural colors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Zoom trick worms and Berkley shakey head worms both in natural colors.
    I throw a 3/16 oz shakey head quite a bit on a quantum b/c and 6'10 Falcon Cara mh rod. The rod has a fast taper and works the bait really nice. I usually use 10lb yozuri line with this combination.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    What kind of worms do you all use with your shakey heads? I only used them for sight fishing, I'd bite a white trick worm with about 4" left.
    I use ZOOM Trick worms and cut off a 1/4 inch. I fish it on a 1/4oz head I pour with a 4/0 Owner hook.

rustedhook

Post Thanks / Like

reaction innovation flirt - sprayed grass is best for me in the summer daytime. i also do well with the 4 in roboworm zipper in junebug with chart tail.

Post Thanks / Like

Xps ProLite Finnesse BC reel on 6'6" ML ProLite Finnesse rod. 1/8oz. Gambler Giggy head or Bite-Me Shakey head. Strike King 3x 7" straight tail finnesse worm in watermelon seed. 10# P-Line 100% fc. Extreme sensitivity, no stretch, plenty of action, plenty of power to horse 'em out of the nasty stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Gitem Warlock and Zoom finese worms,Spot Remover heads, BPS football heads, Tru Tungsten heads.