Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Match Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Match Fishing

Well I guess the ultimate match fishing is really bringing the Pros"TRUE" personalities to the surface. Did you guys see Dave Lefevbre turn the boat in a circle on Anthony Gagliardi and TRY to wind his line up in the trolling motor to break off his fish he was fighting. Man what a A-hole. Don't care whose nephew ,cousin ,uncle or , brother he is that was wrong. PLUS when Anthony ran to the front deck to try to keep the fish out of the motor he was penalized 2 tenths for going up front.
    Hey Matt Plapp if you have any input on this trail , seeing how they want it to look like other sporting events have them add a UNSPORTSMEN LIKE CONDUCT penalty. They certainly have had some real "winners" in how to act toward they guy in the back of the boat this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Fishing

Hey Jbyrd.....

The thing is, Joe Thomas as always stated that "Trash talking" was encouraged. I think this is exactly what the show is after, a little wrestling type of action.

What I'm really waiting for is the college version to debut. I've read about it often, but haven't seen it yet!!

Danny

PS, I wonder if they are also trying to teach the college kids to act like punks? LMAO

Sorry, couldn't refuse that shot. BTW, I don't think any of the college guys that fish and participate in this forum would ever do anything like what you described.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Trash talking is one thing but blantingly trying to break off another anglers fish he is fighting is another. I forgot to mention the first fish Anthony caught Dave put the trolling motor on high and tried to break it off. But since that didn't work when he hooked up again on a 5 pounder he spun the boat in a tight circle with the trolling motor on high trying to wind it up and break it off. he(Dave) even said that was his plan when he was asked about it.
    Oh yes to prove there is a God he didn't catch a keeper all day ,HA HA HA Got a good spanking 16 lbs and some ounces to NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

That has kind of been the format since it got started about three years ago. There has been some classics. Just last week I believe it was Larry Nixon who
    completly trashed a fishing hole he was fishing because Gabe Bolivar was catching fish from back of the boat and he wanted to make sure he didn't comew back. It's nothing personal I don't think, it's just the way the contest is set up and I think the anglers know that. Makes for great ratings. People tune in just to see what one of them will do next. The only person to really show himself Was Gerald swindle last year when he was fishing against Luke Clausen. That's the only time I think someone really got upset.

Post Thanks / Like

Trash talking and messing with the other guy is HIGHLY encouraged. The show is a product, one that needs to be interesting, exciting, and funny. Two guys, fishing out of a boat, in competition with one another, not saying a word does not get good ratings.

In the college edition, the producer was very disappointed at the lack of goofing off and trash talking - the competitors were being followed by Joe Thomas and a ref in one boat, a camera guy was on board at all times, another boat with local newspaper writers were following along, and the pressures to catch fish and advance kept competitors clammed up.

The college edition will either be out later this fall in October, or wait until the first quarter of '08 to hit the air. The producer thinks that more viewers will watch the show during the bitter cold of winter rather than putting it out now when most people are fishing and not in the house. It should be a great show to watch! I highly encourage all of you to watch it!

Post Thanks / Like

When &where is it on this year? I checked Outdoor Channel Tue. Wasn't
    there.

Post Thanks / Like

Monday night Outdoor Channel around 8-9 pm

Post Thanks / Like

Comes on also at 6:30 pm Monday and again later between 9 and 10:30 I believe. Then repeats at different times thru the week until the new show on Monday again.

Post Thanks / Like

Good point about the Larry Nixon incident, or lack there of...LOL. I thought it was pretty funny to see "Larry Nixon" doing something like that.

Now to the main incident we are discussing. I happened to tape the later showing on Monday night, and got to watch it this morning. It did not seem to upset Anthony Gagliadardi, but then it was his second fish to none by Lefebre. I thought it kind of bit the big one that he was fined the 2 tenths of a pound to try to save the fish, but a five lber is certainly worth that. Then you have to also consider that Anthony did not let lefebre fish the fourth quarter.

Both were laughing and having fun with it. Lefebre even said that before it happened, he would have said he would not ever do that to another fisherman, but then when you are in that position, you just never know.

The good thing is they both kept in in perspective and were laughing about it at the end of the show.

I have fished a lot of draw tournaments where I was fishing against the guy in the back. I would not ever do what these guys do. BUT the thing is, this show is designed to bring that type of action into the show. IT IS MEANT TO BE FUN... and I think we have to look at it that way. It is kind of like wrestling. When I was a teen, I loved to watch wrestling... **** the bruiser, Barron Von Kaloff, etc.... Not sure who are the stars now, other than the few commercials I see occasionally. But any case, I think we have to look at UMF as kind of the WWF of fishing.

The only possible thing that should be mentioned, is that winner can not be scripted as easily. I suppose it could be done, but not sure that the guys would go along with that.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

I love the show and like I said before I don't think any of the guys take it to serious and probably to an extent know what they are expected to do to help the show continue.
    The only thing I would like to see is a little more of the fishing time or maybe in the future would love to see a pro versus an average local guy style. Take 6 pros like Van Dam, Clausen, Swindle for example and pair them up against ........lets say ME LOL. Probably would not stand a chance but who knows it would make for great TV. Crazier things have happened.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you're gonna see average Joes in the college series. The guy I was up against was unable to drive a bass boat if that tells you anything, but he was one lucky son of a gun...whoops, probably shouldn't have said that...

Post Thanks / Like

Lmao Hahahahahahahahahahahah