Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Gatlinburg Fishing?

I'm headed there next weekend (8/11-8/) and was hoping someone had a recommendation on where i could take my girlfriend and catch some fish? I'm hoping to hit a creek or stream and catch some trout or smallmouth if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks in advance...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gatlinburg Fishing?

Don,

The last time I went down there, we drove through the National Park over to Cherokee, NC...I bought a day pass and went wading in a creek with an ultralight...caught a few trout...but doggone if it rains up in those hills, a slug of water comes down the river that looks like something out of Splash Mountain. I was downstream from the truck (dumb), got knocked down and took a swim. LOL!! It was kind of neat though...I met a Native American fellow who was out supervising his kids as they were tubing down the river. I wasn't real happy that they decided to stop and swim right where I was fishing, but I was respectful that it was his home and started chatting with the guy...kinda cool.

There are places on the Little Pigeon on the Pigeon Forge side where you can wade and fish. I don't think that access is real tough.

First thing I'd do, when I got there, is....go to one of those tourist trap shops with all the tee-shirts and what-nots. Buy you a coffee mug with a black bear on it and a wooden hillbilly back scratcher...Just get it over with. You go in one, you've gone in them all, and girlie won't bug you about shopping after that. Make sure to disctract her as you're going past those outlet malls...I prefer accidently dropping M&Ms in the floor and asking her to pick them up so that you don't wreck in traffic. About 70% of the time, it works everytime. LMAO!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Gatlinburg Fishing?

You can fish the little pigion river with an ultralite and and some bread balls from last nights dinner just roll em tight. Trout will burn em up. Try to avoid hooking the ducks.
    Have a good time I always love going there.
    Stoner

Post Thanks / Like

Ah Splitshot,
    The old drop the m&M's trick...yes I have resulted to that tactic as well...But the area has grown so much in the last 4 years, it's hard to keep her occupied for long.... Just too many shops and outlet Malls for sure. I haven't fished that creek running along Pigeon Forge yet, but plan on it on my next trip back. While on our last trip we bought into a Time Share at the Westgate Resorts. Just a totally awesome place to stay for 1 to 3 weeks at a time.

There are pull off spots all along the creek so that you can fish or swim whichever you want. Enjoy the area, cause it sure is a nice place to stay awhile....

Post Thanks / Like

Finding a place to fish is not a problem at all. There are over 800 miles of trout streams in the park alone. Two of my favorites are Abrams Creek in the Cades Cove area and the Occunaluftee (sp) River. It is the river that runs along side the main road once you cross New Found Gap into North Carolina. Some pretty big browns come out of there.

BTW, you can fish anywhere in the park with either a Tenn or NC license, so you only have to buy one. Good luck and try not to get eaten by a bear lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Fished there last year. I went to the smokey mt. fishing store in Gatlinburg. Guy knew his stuff. I fished out off of hwy 401 10 or so miles from Gatbrg. I was told that you can only use single hook lulres, so most of my lures were useless. I bought a ton there at his shop which made me think that he might not have been all that truthful about the single hook thing, but I did catch a ton of trout and ran into some nice folks along the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrSplitshot View Post
    Don,

The last time I went down there, we drove through the National Park over to Cherokee, NC...I bought a day pass and went wading in a creek with an ultralight...caught a few trout...but doggone if it rains up in those hills, a slug of water comes down the river that looks like something out of Splash Mountain. I was downstream from the truck (dumb), got knocked down and took a swim. LOL!! It was kind of neat though...I met a Native American fellow who was out supervising his kids as they were tubing down the river. I wasn't real happy that they decided to stop and swim right where I was fishing, but I was respectful that it was his home and started chatting with the guy...kinda cool.

There are places on the Little Pigeon on the Pigeon Forge side where you can wade and fish. I don't think that access is real tough.

First thing I'd do, when I got there, is....go to one of those tourist trap shops with all the tee-shirts and what-nots. Buy you a coffee mug with a black bear on it and a wooden hillbilly back scratcher...Just get it over with. You go in one, you've gone in them all, and girlie won't bug you about shopping after that. Make sure to disctract her as you're going past those outlet malls...I prefer accidently dropping M&Ms in the floor and asking her to pick them up so that you don't wreck in traffic. About 70% of the time, it works everytime. LMAO!!!!
    That's funny stuff right there! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

That's guy's, some great ideas here i really appreciate it we will have a blast.
    Troutcrazy,
    Is that shop pretty easy to find? I have never been to Gatlinburg.

Post Thanks / Like

I was down there a few years ago and stayed in a cabin somewhere up by light #8 I think, It's up towards all that splash country stuff, anyway the river ran right by our cabin and i waded about everyday and caught a bunch of good smallmouth. the best bait for me then was a pumpkinseed zoom small tube.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by troutcrazy View Post
    Fished there last year. I went to the smokey mt. fishing store in Gatlinburg. Guy knew his stuff. I fished out off of hwy 401 10 or so miles from Gatbrg. I was told that you can only use single hook lulres, so most of my lures were useless. I bought a ton there at his shop which made me think that he might not have been all that truthful about the single hook thing, but I did catch a ton of trout and ran into some nice folks along the way.

The guy wasn't pulling your leg, anywhere in the national park is restricted to single hooks.

BTW, the best fly shop is in Townsend, TN. The folks at Little River Outfitters are an awesome bunch and I always go out of my way to stop there when I am down that way. Here is their web site: http://littleriveroutfitters.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be there in Dec. Any hope of fishing that late in the year?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrSplitshot View Post
    Don,

Brian I think you ought to consider stand up comedy.