Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Green Island Lodge Report

Having read staff reports and even fished the Lower Manitou 32 years ago, I decided to try this with my oldest (25) grandson. I was not disappointed.
    We had 5 good days of fishing and lost count of the numbers caught.

One of the things I liked best was using a guide who knew the area, and the experience of catching a variety of fish. We caught lake trout by jigging with white twister tails and silver buddies, northern pike with Mepps spinners and crank baits, smallmouth bass with SenKos, Mepps, and crank baits, a couple of muskies on Mepps, and my grandson even got a walleye (rare for the area) on a Mepps spinner.

Our guide was Raymond, and he did just that. Other guides in the past fished along with the client, and this fellow ran the boat and he made a couple of shore lunches for us.

My grandson and I took a boat out in the evenings and caught smallies on each outing. The weather was hot for Canada, but we enjoyed cool mornings and evenings.

Incidentally, I did give fishin.com credit when I made the reservation.

John Herzfeld

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Green Island Lodge Report

Quote Originally Posted by jh View Post
    Having read staff reports and even fished the Lower Manitou 32 years ago, I decided to try this with my oldest (25) grandson. I was not disappointed.
    We had 5 good days of fishing and lost count of the numbers caught.

One of the things I liked best was using a guide who knew the area, and the experience of catching a variety of fish. We caught lake trout by jigging with white twister tails and silver buddies, northern pike with Mepps spinners and crank baits, smallmouth bass with SenKos, Mepps, and crank baits, a couple of muskies on Mepps, and my grandson even got a walleye (rare for the area) on a Mepps spinner.

Our guide was Raymond, and he did just that. Other guides in the past fished along with the client, and this fellow ran the boat and he made a couple of shore lunches for us.

My grandson and I took a boat out in the evenings and caught smallies on each outing. The weather was hot for Canada, but we enjoyed cool mornings and evenings.

Incidentally, I did give fishin.com credit when I made the reservation.

John Herzfeld
    any chance you would give up the location that you caught those Muskies IN??
    Moser Bay? Jackfish Bay? Half Moon? Muskie Straights, around the Island???
    I have gotten several follows to the boat but never lucked into one... though I have seen a couple of monsters in that lake.
    Were the Lake Trout biting or did you fish for them..
    Jim D

Post Thanks / Like

The small one hit a Mepps near John's Rock. The larger Muskie was caught off of a reef, but I don't remember the spot. It was on the first day, and if Raymond (the guide) is around, you might ask him.

We jigged for the lake trout on the first day and were rewarded with several. They hit jigs with white twister tails and a silver buddy. They were deep and we let our lures drop to the bottom and then gradually swept them up.

John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jh View Post
    The small one hit a Mepps near John's Rock. The larger Muskie was caught off of a reef, but I don't remember the spot. It was on the first day, and if Raymond (the guide) is around, you might ask him.

We jigged for the lake trout on the first day and were rewarded with several. They hit jigs with white twister tails and a silver buddy. They were deep and we let our lures drop to the bottom and then gradually swept them up.

John
    Sounds like you had a great time. Next year take some Gulp Twister tails for the Lakers. We used them a couple of years ago and the Trout followed them all the way to the boat from the bottom. Only time I ever saw a lake trout hit a bait from sooo deep. We used glow in the dark jigs too that seemed to help as well. Our catch year 2 was much better with the glow in the dark jigs and gulp twister tails.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I will try them next time. I had way too many lures with me, but wanted to be sure I would have something that worked. We had a great trip, and I hope to return again.

John