Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question Kentucky River questions

I recently realized how close the lower reaches of the Kentucky River are to where I live, and once it cools off some, I plan on trying my luck there. My boat is a 14" two-seat runabout, which doesn't draw much water, with a 15hp Evinrude, so I think it's pretty well suited. I know there's a lot of debris in that river, so of course I'll be going slow, and only during the day, at least at first. And of course I'll have all safety equipment in place and ready to go. But I'm new to river fishing, so I do have a couple questions:

1) What type of anchor would be best, and how much rode should I use? I know that in general you want your anchor line about 5-7X as long as the depth of the water, but how deep can you go? In other words, what is the maximum depth at which I can reasonably expect to anchor with any success?

2) Dumb question here. When you see references to "pool #3" or whatever pool number, what is that? Is that just the portion of the river between two dams?

Any general advice would also be appreciated. Of course, I don't expect anybody to offer up their favorite honey hole; after all, half the fun is finding your own

Thanks in advance...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kentucky River questions

Road Toad, see my 'KY River Report' ..

Post Thanks / Like

RoadToad,

Not sure how much river current you can expect, but with a 14 foot boat, you definately want to be careful with your setting of the anchor. It doesn't take a lot of current to come over your gunnel when anchored.

As for the KY River, I live on the other end of the state, so can't help out there. I was just thinking of the guys I've seen anchored below one of the dams, ky or Barkley, and seeing the river kind of swamp some small boats. Obviously you probably won't see that kind of current, just a heads up.

Good luck,

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RoadToad View Post
    I recently realized how close the lower reaches of the Kentucky River are to where I live, and once it cools off some, I plan on trying my luck there. My boat is a 14" two-seat runabout, which doesn't draw much water, with a 15hp Evinrude, so I think it's pretty well suited. I know there's a lot of debris in that river, so of course I'll be going slow, and only during the day, at least at first. And of course I'll have all safety equipment in place and ready to go. But I'm new to river fishing, so I do have a couple questions:

1) What type of anchor would be best, and how much rode should I use? I know that in general you want your anchor line about 5-7X as long as the depth of the water, but how deep can you go? In other words, what is the maximum depth at which I can reasonably expect to anchor with any success?

2) Dumb question here. When you see references to "pool #3" or whatever pool number, what is that? Is that just the portion of the river between two dams?

Any general advice would also be appreciated. Of course, I don't expect anybody to offer up their favorite honey hole; after all, half the fun is finding your own

Thanks in advance...
    A lot of factors play into river fishing. From what few times I've been on the river, I really haven't seen much of a need for an anchor unless you're going to deadline with live bait.
    The closer yu get to the locks the more current you'll find and down river from the locks you'll have an occasional sand bar or shoal. These will create eddies. The river channel will also form eddies in the most unexpected spots.
    The river itself can go from 1ft to as deep as 35+ in spots.
    I fish on the Steele Branch pool and have ran it with Splitshot from the mouth of the Elkhorn up to the lock(12 mile). I've also ran from Boonesborough to Valley View(Clay's Ferry Pool). Nothing real fast but a big river sometimes doesn't shows it true current on the surface.

Mushroom anchor should do fine or load some milk jugs with sand. That way you'll not be out much it you have to cut them loose. Once you go out on the river a few times you'll be more comfortable and will adapt nicley.

It's kinda like F-n-F fishing at Dale with 25-35mph winds in Mar...LOL!!!!!

Billy