Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Carolina Skiff Boats

I was thinking about buying a Carolina Skiff for striper fishing. Can anybody tell me the pros and cons on these types of boats. The boat I am looking at is already setup for striper fishing (rod holders, bait tank, fish finder, etc.) and it also a very long boat approximately 23 to 24 feet in length. Any comments would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carolina Skiff Boats

APB will chime in here...I believe that's what he used to run for Stripers at Cumberland.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a 17' skiff last year and use it on lakes and rivers. It has a shallow draft and can be run in shallow water. I'm happy with it and it performs very well for a varity of fishing situations; I fish with artificals for largemouth/smallmouth, troll for striper and , cast for trout/striper/walleye on the river. Mine's a flat bottom (some have a slight V in the bow) and it can make for a bumpy ride if the wind & waves are up; it also is effected more by the wind than my former bass boat as the sides are higher and pretty flat. Easy to move around in, low maintenence, easy to clean, etc... I've also fished in the tailrace below several dams (rough water) with kids in the boat and find it very safe for the kids or older folks who are fishing from the lower portions of the boat as the well is deep/side walls high and the boat is very stable (little to no side to side movement as people go from side to side). Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I striper fish from a 23.8 skiff and like it well. As was said before, in rough water, it's not a plesant ride. Other than that, it works very well as a striper boat. Holds a ton of wt., and planes easily with four or five people on board. You can see how I've rigged mine at conleystriper.com.

Post Thanks / Like

Back in April I went out on Dale with a guide that guides out of a Carolina Skiff. Pretty much what everyone here said is true about the rough ride and winds having an effect. I'd suggest you keep a drift sock on board for when the wind gets to howlin'. Other than these things the boat had PLENTY of room with four people in it and the big outboard seemed to push the boat along very well...I can't remember now but I think he had a 175 Yamaha on it. All told I'd say get yourself one of these big boy's, they're nice!

Post Thanks / Like

I have one that we keep in Virginia, great boat, never had any problems with it at all, ours is only 18' but, they have a great rep. and the people in Virgina that stripper fish out in the bay use them religously.

Post Thanks / Like

Striper fished out of the 16 1/2 foot model. Easy to set up for striper fishing with rod holders, downriggers, etc. Shallow draft so no problem on the river either. Plenty of room so if you keep your gear organized you have no problem walking around the boat while fighting a decent fish. Also had young kids on board from time to time (2-5 yr olds). High walls and very stable so no concern there. Like others said, its a rough ride in rough water.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrSplitshot View Post
    APB will chime in here...I believe that's what he used to run for Stripers at Cumberland.
    Dang it Brian let me be the first to say that new avatar of yours..........................well..........I'm speechless, Argggg matey.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Dang it Brian let me be the first to say that new avatar of yours..........................well..........I'm speechless, Argggg matey.
    Looks like John Candy and Napolean had a love child don't it?

You know, it makes a nice avatar, but if I can store all of my Rooster Tails on it I won't have to carry a tackle box anymore. We'll just have to see how it handles a windy boat ride. I'll wear it at the rodeo in October...mark it down.

Yarr.
    Long John Splitshot

PS. Never act the fool at Long John Silvers if you're with someone who has a camera phone.

Post Thanks / Like

from personal experience, 3 or more people in one casting for bass can be a little bit of a challenge sometimes with the center console and leaning post, but to rig it up for trolling it is simple and there is plenty, plenty of room. everything else mentioned is right on from my experience. great moving around in, very ruff ride in ruff water. they are great boats that can be used many different ways. It sounds like there are a lot more of them floating around than i would have thought. My dad has a 14' he inherited last year and my fishin buddy has an 18' that he's had for a few years.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mr Splitshot!

Brian,
    You are killing me! Love child...lol!