Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

fishing tournament on Dale Hollow to raise money for Trooper Island

On October 27th there will be fishing tournament on Dale Hollow lake to raise money for Trooper Island boys and girls camp. The name of the tournament is the Cunningham Memorial Bass tournament and it is named after a Trooper that was killed in the line of duty.

The cost of the tournament is $125/boat (buddy tournament). The payout is $1,000 1st, $600 2nd and $400 for 3rd. I have made arrangements through the state park so that anyone fishing the tournament will recieve the state rate $59.95, if rooms are available. There will be 20 rooms blocked out for the tournament up until Sept. 27. If you reserve a room tell them you are with the Cunningham tournament and they will give you the rate (keep your fingers crossed). If you have any problems contact me and I will try and work it out.

The tournament will start and end at the dock on Trooper Island. There will be manditory meeting on Friday night the 26th at 6:00 pm EST in the cafeteria on Trooper Island (park your boat at the dock or on the beach and walk up the hill. When you get to the top take a left and it is the first building on the left.) The time of the tournament will be from first light until 5pm with a meal following the tournament. There will also be an optional big fish tournament on Sunday for those interested for $25.

Anyone interested can email me at kybass@fewpb.net or contact me at (502) 330-6242.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: fishing tournament on Dale Hollow to raise money for Trooper Island

I heard that some of the rules were changing. Are all these new rules etched in stone? Goss was telling me they were being discussed. What's with the one day tourney instead of two and raising the payout so much? I supposed the payout is supposed to be a draw, but I wonder if it will change the complexion of the tournament. Hopefully some winnings will be donated back. I do hope though, if there is going to be that much money involved, the 12" inch Ky. bass rule is removed and make it a straight 15" on KYs and Largemouth. That would prevent some potential drama at the scales.....tiger

Post Thanks / Like

Re: fishing tournament on Dale Hollow to raise money for Trooper Island

I know this tournament has been going for a few years. However, my first experience with it was last year due to becoming Tiger's fishing buddy. I really enjoyed the tournament and all the guys. We had a really good time. If I remember correctly the entry was $50.00/boat for 2 days (actually 1.5 days, Sunday ended early so as to let everyone get home for work on Monday). The tournament was more of a social event, at least for me, and to raise some money for the island. Many of the winners donated part of or all of their winnings to the island. The tournament was more of a get together and we were fishing primarily for bragging rights.
    I understand to draw more people the payouts need to be increased, thus increase the entry fees. However, in my mind this takes away from what I understood the tournament was initially set up for. With increased fees and payouts, fishing will become much more serious, rules will have to be much more stringent and strictly enforced and much of the comradedy will be lost in the pursuit of the almighty dollar. In addition you may lose some of the long time supporters and pick up those only looking to make a quick buck by fishing a one day tournament.
    I for one only fish Dale Hollow once or twice a year since I live in Louisville. I do so as a relaxing change of scenery. However, with the increased fees and a potential loss of a just having a good time with the "guys", I may have to rethink fishing it this year.

I know I am somewhat an outsider and have no say in the matter, but I have been really looking forward to coming down in October. I think the real reason for the tournament - to remember a fallen officer and raise money for the kids - is quickly becoming lost.

Andy Myers

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys I appreciate the feedback. This the first year that I have directed the Cunningham Tournament and realize that some of the changes that I have made will not go over well with everyone. However, I do only have good intentions for this tournament. I did raise the winning substantially to draw additional boats. The reason is that 1st place last year only paid $200 (your entry fee was $100/boat) which would not even cover your gas money to tournament if you live very far away from the lake. I would like to think that some of the winnings are given back to the Island but last year none of them were.

I been working hard this year to cut costs on running the tournament and trying to corporate sponsors to donate money to make the tournament a success.

Feel free to give me call anytime at (502) 330-6242 or (502) 226-3540.

Post Thanks / Like

I can really appreciate the energy put forth and I fully believe in the intent to improve the benefit to the island. I had the opportunity to know Clint Cunningham when I was a kid and my family has been a supporter of the island since the late sixties. I have thought for awhile that maybe the payout should be raised to maybe 500.00 to win. You know, make the island the big winner and make it a nice outing. With more and more question toward the validity of some of the KY Bass, it will make it even more of an issue measuring a 12" fish and figuring out if the jawline is in front or behind the eye. The tongue patch is kind of out the door as a judgement. You put a 1000.00 dollars on the line, it makes it interesting. I guess in regard to the two day format, It just kept it interesting especially driving that far. I will be at the tourney. I will continue to make my donation and I want the tournament to succeed. I guess I just want to make sure a certain part of the family type atmosphere is preserved.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I agree with Tiger on several issues. I to would like to see the tourney grow with more participation in order to benefit the island. It just seemed to me to be a big jump in one year. I do appreciate the effort of any and all tourney directors because I know there is a lot of work that goes on behind the scene to make them a success. I am just concerned with the higher payouts that the friendly atmosphere will be somewhat lost. Well sorry Tiger but I can't give ya anymore fishing tips or good holes to go to, lol. Also, I believe Tiger makes a good point about the KY bass. A 12" bass is hard to distinguish based on the jaw line. With all the cross breeding and "hybrids" now-a-days, I think making it 15" regardless of KY or largemouth makes sense. One less potential problem.

I do plan to still fish this year because I believe it to be a good cause. I just hope it remains enjoyable since I consider my entry fee as a donation since I've only fished the lake a total of 4 times.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the work you are trying to do for the island is great and the intent you have is truly understood by all who is connected with this tournament and the true meaning behind it, Officer Cunningham and the kids on that island. While im not a trooper or even have a family member with the KSP, every trip i have had the privilidige of making to the island, Craig and all the other guys there have made me feel like a true member of the family and not an outsider. I want to see this tournament continue to grow and succeed and hope nothing but the best, however, we must always remember that money brings greed. With greed usually brings problems, and there are plenty of fishermen out there who will look at the payout and only see $1000 as first place, and all the while, never see the word MEMORIAL!

As Tiger stated above and as just about anyone who has been part of this tournament knows, we both have push for the 15 inch limit across the board and takes all the guess work out of the weigh in, at that point as long as its not a smallie, it touches 15 or it doesnt.

As for the payouts, its great to hear some sponsers have kicked in to give money to help with the payout. Hopefully that will allow for the increased payouts, and still give a nice check back to the island. But if you havent etched the rules in stone, keep it a 2 day tourney.

Either way I will make the trip pending on the outcome of some tournaments upcoming leading to that date. At the worst i do plan on spending Saturday night and Sunday there and do plan on still giving my entry fee to the island if i do get to make it down.

Keep up the hard work and hope to see everyone in October.

Skeeter

Post Thanks / Like

I have changed the entry fee to the Cunningham Tournament to $100(last years fee), not $125.