Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Tonite's Strader Show/ 8-12-07

If you want to hear the show that aired tonite it is going to be available on JimStrader.com and through the WHAS 840 website on Jim Straders Page.

In case you did not listen in, there is a bit of controversy over one of the recent Commissioners who was appointed by Governor Fletcher. Apparently he killed an Elk Out of Season, turned himself in and got what appeared to some to be preferential treatment.. I will not comment on any of it and this is NOT the forum to discuss it.. however it does affect both fishermen and hunters in the state.
    IF you want to discuss this as part of a forum discussion please make any posts on the Off Topic Board or if about the Hunting situation on the Hunting Board.
    The person apparently shot an elk, could not find it and went back the day AFTER the season was over and shot what he thought was the same animal he shot the day before.. in order to put it out of its misery.. ONLY to discover it was not the right animal. Thus he shot a healthy Elk out of season.
    He was given a No Appearance Ticket, which was for $1,000 and paid voluntarily a $1500.00 replacement fee. ( The lowest previous fee I could find in Fish and Wildlife records was $2500.00 but that search was only on the Fish and Wildlife Website) According to current regulations and a former Game Officer and supervisor who is now retired..anyone who shoots an animal out of season must appear before a judge.. this did not happen.
    Fish and Wildlife Commissioner John Gassett called in to state that previously people who had self reported violations also had gotten no appearance tickets..
    This is a short synopsis of the show and what it was about.
    You can listen and make your own decisions on whether this was proper treatment or not.
    AGAIN.. all discussion should go to the Off Topic or Hunting Discussion board. Since this does not have specifically to do with fishing...
    It does however affect fishermen who also pay license fees etc. in the state and expect our commission to be run properly.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tonite's Strader Show/ 8-12-07

bump

Post Thanks / Like

Question - Why bump the thread if you're telling people not to discuss? Just lock it and pin it at the top.

I heard a bit of the show (the first segment), and I've got an opinion or two.....but I guess I can't state them.

Post Thanks / Like

OK - here are some opinions. Remember that I only heard the first 15 minutes of the show. I'm also not very interested in hunting (and I know the commissioner position involves more than just that, but it was a hunting incident)

1. The guy is a terrible hunter, but not sure if that disqualifies him from being a commissioner.

2. With regard to his punishment for the incident, if the fine and the replacement fee without appearing before a judge are within the allowable punishments as set forth by the law, then I have no problem with it. If they are not, then those officials who did not uphold the law need to be punished for it. By the same token, that really isn't an issue about this particular person. Look at it this way, if I'm speeding and the cop decides not to give me a ticket, is it my fault?

3. I'm OK with his appointment. As I said, the fact that he isn't a good hunter shouldn't disqualify him, and the fact that he MAY (I haven't seen proof) have not been punished adequately isn't his fault at all. The fact that he has a violation on his record sways my opinion a bit, but if he paid his dues as meted out to him, then the incident is in the past, right?

Post Thanks / Like

Strader and Warren had some pretty significant errors in their facts.

This is the second week that Strader has ridden this dead horse. The appointment is made. The only way that Taylor can be removed is for cause and with a hearing. If this incident wasn't cause to not appoint him, then it's not cause to remove him

Don't be deceived by what some of the spinmeisters try to tell you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daking View Post
    Strader and Warren had some pretty significant errors in their facts.

This is the second week that Strader has ridden this dead horse. The appointment is made. The only way that Taylor can be removed is for cause and with a hearing. If this incident wasn't cause to not appoint him, then it's not cause to remove him

Don't be deceived by what some of the spinmeisters try to tell you.
    No one is asking for his removal. The situation came up and Mr. Strader Covered it. The second week he answered John Gasset's attack on the Retired Game warden.. and answered questions. No one is spinning anything but you Terry. You came on here and accused a State Commissioner of a Crime which you could not prove. Take your spin back to the other board.
    There were NO ERRORS in Mr. Straders facts whatsoever. Each fact was cleared or questioned with either the State Attorney General or backed up with an interview with an official of the State or with a Retired Game Warden who is one of the MOST DECORATED in the history of the state.
    The Germans used to say... tell a LIE long enough and it becomes the truth.. Terry, you have no clue what the truth is, you proved that when you accused a commissioner of wrong doing with NO PROOF. Strader makes sure of his facts BEFORE he passes on a FACT. You on the other hand thrive on rumors. Find a violation for the commissioner or stop trying to malign Jim Strader. His job is to report and that is WHAT HE DID.
    Jim Dicken