Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Phone company Rant. Not a local company

As y'all know, my mother passed away on June 25th. My sister had previously set most of Mother's recurring bills to be paid by auto-pay from checking account.

Upon Mother's death, her checking account was frozen. I have gotten bills from the gas and electric and water companies etc. I never received a bill from the phone company.

Finally I receive a forwarded bill from the phone company. The bill was for $28.00 for the monthly bill plus a $25.00 fee for "returned payment". I phoned the company and tried to explain the circumstances. No. They will not credit the $25.00 fee for returned non-payment from a deceased person's checking account. $25.00 fee. That's just about a 100% penalty.!!!

This is also the same company that my sister and I discovered had been charging Mother $6.00 a month for 30 years for a "rented" phone. Yep. $2160.00 for a phone!!!

The phone "service" department needs to put their employees through a sensitivity course. What a bunch of twits and morons.!!

Be glad we in Kentuckiana don't have to deal with this company.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Phone company Rant. Not a local company

Tyme,

Very sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. I know first hand that there is nothing that is harder to deal with.

Second, go over the head of the person with whom you spoke. You may even want to let the local news papers know of what is going on.

Lastly, unless the law has changed, send them the money for the bill, and not the penalty. Once they cash that check, and accept some money on the bill, you can refuse to pay the remainder of the bill. This was a little known law that I learned about in one of my classes. I know as of 5 years or so ago, the law still existed. I don't know if it is a KY only law, or federal law. My memory is just not that good anymore. LOL

In any case if you really can't get out of it, simply insist that the bill will be paid by the estate. In KY, an estate can not by settled for 6 months. That way at least the phone company will have to wait a while for their money.

I am not a lawyer, but I have negotiated things like this very often. Generally if you get high enough in the company, you can make head way. The frontline operators and their supervisors generally don't have the authority to over ride these types of "mistakes"... That is why I tend to go to the top immediately. If you do go to the top guy/gal, mark the envelope that you send your complaint/inquiry in as "personal and confidential." What this does is it makes it illeagal for a secretary to open the envelope. Also be sure you use the old addage, "you catch more flys with honey, then you do vinegar." Treat the folks the way you would want them to treat you, even though you really want to bite their &*$# heads off.

BTW, did your mother still have a phone supplied by the phone company? If so, there is nothing you can do about that. However, my mom and dad had the same type issue. I had purchased them a phone and returned the old phone company phone to the phone company, but did not audit their bill. I found out they had been charging them for the phone for several months. It took a little negotiating, but I got mom and dad their refund.

I wish you peace and compassion that only God can give with the feelings of loss and grief over the loss of your mother.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou Danny for your compassion. I am still very much in the grieving process.
    When my sister and I found out about the "rented" phone we called the phone company. This was several years ago. They didn't know how to have it returned to them and said,"Y'all just keep it." Well thankyoooooou for the $2160.00 phone.

I guess I can find out the CEO of the company on the net and send a personal letter and check for $28.00 to him.

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds like it was not in KY, however, the best thing you can do, before you send or don't send payments, is contact the Consumer Protection Division of the State Attorney General's Office. They just may institute an investigation, or at least they can tell you what the law is and what your recourse is concering the payment penalty and the rental phone.

Danny gave some good advice about going to higher supervisors, and as you said, going to the CEO never hurts. However, I can tell you from 20 years work in Consumer Protection, that it is a myth that once a company accepts a payment, they can't continue to charge the penalties or the balance owed, etc. It the same thing as people thinking that if you write PAID IN FULL on a check, and they cash it, you don't owe any more. If you owe the money/bill they can continue collection PERIOD

Grumpy