Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for carp

Anyone know of a good spot for common carp with a variety of bass, crappie and others. I live in Louisville but will travel.

I am looking to use light weight gear and be on the banks or in the water. I enjoy the fight and am looking forward to doing some fun fishing in the Louisville area.

Thanks,

Richie

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for carp

Sounds like your looking for Taylorsville Lake, i've never fished for carp but have seen plenty cruzing the banks.

Post Thanks / Like

Heck, you should make the trip to Arkansas!

The state regards itself as the "Ultimate Carp Fishing Destination"

Arkansas is pushing to have size limits and creel limits on carp...

I think they'd do anything to generate tourist dollars in that state! Remember how they made those outrageous claims about Cumberland Lake?! I guess when your state is very poor, you do what you have to do...

Locally, you should check out the Falls of the Ohio. You catch all kinds of drum on white roostertails or white curly tail grubs. It's also not uncommon to foul-hook a catfish there either. I've foul-hooked some that I had to fight for a half hour or so! There's even been some that I ended up a good 200 yards downstream...the fight was much like that one in the movie, "A River Runs Through It" in the fact that I was all in the water and the current was taking me and the fish!

Post Thanks / Like

While you're at it, do us all a favor and go bow-fishing for those Asian silver carp. Please kill all you can!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Heck, you should make the trip to Arkansas!

The state regards itself as the "Ultimate Carp Fishing Destination"

Arkansas is pushing to have size limits and creel limits on carp...

I think they'd do anything to generate tourist dollars in that state! Remember how they made those outrageous claims about Cumberland Lake?! I guess when your state is very poor, you do what you have to do...

Locally, you should check out the Falls of the Ohio. You catch all kinds of drum on white roostertails or white curly tail grubs. It's also not uncommon to foul-hook a catfish there either. I've foul-hooked some that I had to fight for a half hour or so! There's even been some that I ended up a good 200 yards downstream...the fight was much like that one in the movie, "A River Runs Through It" in the fact that I was all in the water and the current was taking me and the fish!
    You know that was a cool movie, I liked it alot.

Post Thanks / Like

i go out bow fishing all the time and you can get them around any of the dock. they will froun if you use a bow but you can get some good ones. we was down at green river this past weekend caught all kinds of crappie and something that felt like a catfish it bit my line and would not let go. but i have seen lots of people fishing next to the ramp and getting all kinds of fish

Post Thanks / Like

I tell you, at the Moutardier Marina at Nolin. They have pet Carp that weigh anywhere from 2 lbs. up to maybe 50 lbs. it seems. These Carp are hand fed fish food and anything else that goes into the water, including the fish cleaning station at the Marina. I have actually seen one of these Carp eat an entire piece of Crust from a Slice of Pizza like it was a worm.... They are huge and the bluegill around the Marina are big also. But the only problem is, no fishing with-in 100 feet of the Marina. But you can go in behind the Marina in that cove and Bow Fish for them.....

Good Luck

By the way I have some new Carp Food Bait I received in the Mail from the NAFC as a field Test, if anyone wants some to try. I just ask that you let me know how you do with the stuff..... I'm going to try it out in the Creeks to see how it works.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    You know that was a cool movie, I liked it alot.
    I agree about the movie. I've never really been much into fly fishing, but after watching that movie I ended up buying a fly rod and tried it out...and I really liked it!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for carp - An Embarrassing Addiction

This copied e'mail was sent by me today to a lifetime list of fishing buddies and acquaintences that I titled "An Embarrassing Addiction" that I thought fitting for this thread. Be careful......you may end up in the same sorry shape I'm in...........

Gentlemen,

I'm writing to you all to admit to a recently developed, and now firmly established character flaw. Thinking that this might not go over well or be fully understood at standard confessional, I'm looking to you in hopes that you'll provide a level of understanding and compassion for a wayward soul.

Recently frustrated by the seemingly endless days of 90 - 100 F temps, and finding no personally satisfying and fun way to fish and get pullage here on Lake Norman, I decided that I was going to stoop to a new low, and attempt to pioneer a new way to summer fish on Norman.

Now, bear with me............please?

I'd read that there is terrific sport in pursuing.......ah hem, Carp, with a fly rod. Don't pass judgment yet, please fellas?

So, having researched a little about what these things eat (generally bug larvae) and obtaining a few different little larvae looking flies, I set out with my seasoned 5 weight striper thumper fly rod to see what this thing is all about.

Over 3 weeks and at least 40 hours of stalking mud-flats, cove backs, and mucky banks I hadn't caught a fish although I had put many flies in front of, on top of, beside, behind, under, etc several dozen orange fish. Many fish were tail-up, nose-down vacuuming up the bottom of Lake Norman, with everything that could go wrong, going wrong. I was becoming miserable, finding that carp on the fly is Murphy's favorite game, and that the Lord may not be very liberal in bestowing blessings on a Carper.

Then, this past Saturday morning, there I was, yet again stalking down yet another nothing-looking mud-flat in 3 million-dollar Pointe home backyards, hat pulled low (one would think I was doing this to have better visibility, but I was really hiding my face), I spotted an orange tail up in a mud plume waving at me 4 feet deep, 40 feet away. One false cast then blip, strip, THUMP, hookset and game on! WHOA, into my backing in seconds, proceeding with throttle up on the troller as she led me toward the mouth of the cove. Out there, just a matter of staying close enough that I wouldn't get spooled, I followed her around keeping the pressure on and the rod bowed. Serious pullage! 10 - 15 minutes later, had her on her side and lifted her in the boat. 8 lbs, 7 oz. Truly, a magnificent thrill for me especially given the amount of toil involved.

http://myfishingpics.com/photopost48c/data/502/1st_Carp_3.jpg

Back out on Sunday evening, I successfully seduced another that was being just a pig in 2 feet of water after stalking her from 50 yards away. Wow, after many, many presentations, 2 good eats in probably 10 tries.

Alas, now I'm a lost cause and hopelessly addicted.

So, when you see me out there on The Slimy Deck (my 24 ft Champion Bay Boat), creeping down your shoreline with hat pulled low over my eyes, please say a little prayer for this once productive, engaged, and now ex-societal contributor who is entirely eaten up by his newly acquired addiction.

Tight lines.......
    Slimy Deck

Post Thanks / Like

I live in London, Ky. I was raised in Corbin though. Its bout three hours from louisville. There is a river in corbin part of the cumberland. Not deep at all. Bout 2-5 deep. You make some dough balls and catch them all day. Spent many days when i was younger down there. Biggest one I caught was 44 lbs but there are bigger ones. average size though is bout 10 lbs. soon as your line hits the water the on top of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Msgmills,is right about Nolin...alias carp capital I,ve caught literally tons of carp out of there...My favorite bait is Romanmeal bread fingertips moist with a touch of your favorite barly and hopps flavor beverage on a #4 stout hook and mud bank...Don't leave your pole without the clicker on...for they will fly..good luck but you won't need it...Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

fellar come on down to salt river. this is the river that flows intoo taylorsville lake. the fishing in this river is amazing for carp and other fish. they are in pools althourgh out the river. the biggest I have taken on rod and reel is 35 inches 20lbs. four roses distrillay off 513, take 64 to 127 to lawrenceburg 4 miles to 513. go apprx 2 miles you'll cross the river. its a nice river to wade not deep and losts of crap in the area. also you can turn on 62 out of lawrenceburg and go approx 5 miles till you croos another bridge its a good river. need any help stop in a the shell station off the bluegrass parkway on 127 and say scotty told me about salt river they can help you. i will be in the 9th of september i have been out workin in missouri