Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

KDF&W responsible for wildlife damages?

The League of Kentucky Property Owners is seeking legislation to force KDF&W to pay for crop,property,and livestock damages to farmers and landowners caused by the wildlife they manage,just as a farmer would be responsible if his livestock caused damage on another's property.
    While I am both a farmer and landowner,I am also an avid fisherman and hunter and if something like this ever managed to pass ,our license fees would surely skyrocket.
    Just to add another off topic note,I posted this on kentuckyhunting.com's forums and was blasted for being a farmer (even though I don't agree with this legislation) and was surprised at the venom aimed at private landowners/farmers by supposed hunters and outdoorsmen.After retaliating with my views as a landowner ( I called them sarcastic turds) I was permanently banned from that website,LOL
    Hope I didn't break the rules here as I'm a member from the old,old Fishin.com boards and glad to be back from the Nazi website,
    Last edited by Dave Stewart; 08-21-2007 at 04:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: KDF&W responsible for wildlife damages?

i'm also a sportsman/land owner/part time farmer. wildlife is getting so plentiful that i can't raise corn in some of my fields because of deer/coon damage. there are just too many and they need thinning out. it would suit me if they let hunters harvest more game instead of paying farmers for damage. the problem is this gives them an excuse to raise license fees so they can buy more leather seated Yukons and Denalis to cruise around in. don't get too wound up about some hunters blasting you. if they were land owners they would have a different outlook.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you guys ever thought of advertising about your problems? I know of MANY, MANY guys that would gladly come out and help with your deer and coon problems! Many of my buddies are in the Louisville area with little to nowhere to hunt! If granted unlimited access to bow hunt as many deer as they want, they would gladly do so, legally. Aren't there crop damage tags farmers can apply for in order to legally reduce the numbers of deer on their property?

I myself am always searching for places to hunt! Send me a message and I'll come help you out! Heck, I'll pass on the info and get all kinds of guys lined up to help!

Post Thanks / Like

If the hunting is that good...we'll even come over and help you do some chores!

How is this year's corn crop looking? I know many have said the dry weather has really hurt it. I've heard of some guys starting in on their shelling this week! I'm hoping they do, so hopefully my dove hunting this year will be decent!

Post Thanks / Like

art is right,if you have crops for income purposes of any kind,cucumbers,corn watermelon or peppers it don't matter,you need to contact the kdfw and tell them,they arrange a meeting come out and check it out,they will give you anumber to call and when you harvest an animal you call it in just like season.
    as he said too,if you ask around you can find plenty of good folks who will respect your farm and hunt them for you,and i have seen a few,myself included who would work off a trade on some farm work.if you get too many deer to get rid of you can donate them to the hunters for hungry also.

Post Thanks / Like

You will notice I edited your post to delete the slam about Uncle Lee's. Welcome back to fishin.com but the rules have not changed here...you still have to post your name and contact information when you slam a person or a business.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveStewart View Post
    You will notice I edited your post to delete the slam about Uncle Lee's. Welcome back to fishin.com but the rules have not changed here...you still have to post your name and contact information when you slam a person or a business.
    Doesn't matter anyway Dave. I was just angry over being banned for a very minial reason.I could care less about Uncle Lee's never shopped there and never will now,I will say any hunting site that slams farmers and landowners is only hurting itself.

Glenn Pennington
    2944 Old 3-L Highway
    Falmouth,Ky 41040

Post Thanks / Like

No problems here Glenn. I don't know much about what is going on with this controversy but on the surface I would say that hunters that slam farmers and landowners where they want to hunt would only be hurting themselves...on the other hand I would say that farmers and landowners that want me and other citizens to pay for their crop damages caused by wildlife need to get a life..that would be like me as guide wanting the TVA or Corps to pay me because they manage the water here on Ky/Barkley and are not pulling as much current as I need to get a better bite during the summer. I wonder if the farmers and landowners would like to pay the bill for the damage caused by the runoff of their farms dumping all their chemicals they use on their crops into the water where I am fishing? Seems to me that there should be more working together to solve problems and less of the gimme, gimme, gimme in this world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Have you guys ever thought of advertising about your problems? I know of MANY, MANY guys that would gladly come out and help with your deer and coon problems! Many of my buddies are in the Louisville area with little to nowhere to hunt! If granted unlimited access to bow hunt as many deer as they want, they would gladly do so, legally. Aren't there crop damage tags farmers can apply for in order to legally reduce the numbers of deer on their property?

I myself am always searching for places to hunt! Send me a message and I'll come help you out! Heck, I'll pass on the info and get all kinds of guys lined up to help!
    I agree 100%. It is extremely difficult to get permission for good, honest, ethical hunters anymore. Almost impossible. This is due to several good reasons I might add, but then again where is the balance? People want to complain about too many animals but then again they won't hardly let anyone come in and keep the animals in check. If you do not keep the population under control through hunting it will get out of control real quick and not only will you suffer but the animals will suffer as well. I don't see the KDFWR as being responsible but I see the hunters and landowners as the ones who are responsible. Hunters should take more does and landowners should be willing to entertain good people to hunt on their land. IMO.