Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Cumara Rods

Post Thanks / Like

New Cumara Rods

I had the opportunity to see and feel the new Cumara rods from Shimano, and all I can say is wow. The rod had a new Shimano Core on it and the weight in your hand was non existent. The only thing I am not for sure about is the split handle and the handle is not cork. I have not fished much with the split handle but willing to give it a try. I heard they will be coming out in September so I can not wait to field test this rod.....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Cumara Rods

As far as the handles go, i have heard it from both sides. One side, another rod company, saying you don't have a high end rod (199.99 +) and put a foam handle on it. The other side, shimano, saying that it is a "high quality" foam that will never slip out of your hand when wet, and is very comfortable. Well it better be high quality foam for the ticket on it. Im a cork guy and am also not used to the split handle. with that said it is 'supposed' to be the lightest rod on the market.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think these rods are a crossover form Loomis? Maybe a blank from the IMX series but with foam as not to compete with their other Loomis models? Or even something along the Mossyback line?

Post Thanks / Like

neither rep made a mention of that when i talked to them, which from the shimano stand point... if it has anything to do with loomis, you better sell that aspect hard. I really think this one is shimano trying to do their own thing. get a High end rod with their name on it, cause really the series as a whole is not very comparable to any other, the split grip on every model, All black including the foam handle, light as a feather, and the shimano warranty. Not trying to take anything away from these rods cause i have not used one, the fishing aspect is all that really matters, simply performance, and i hear that it is incredible. I'd say they will do pretty well. For stores who arn't 'lucky' enough to get the higher end rods into their shop, this will get a new, nicer product for the consumer and i think thats what shimano is shooting for.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the things that i was told from a G-Loomis rep was that when shimano bought Loomis they told them keep making your rods the way you make them, and help us to better make the shimano rods. If you want to feel one, there is a rod at Backwater outfitters in Lexington, I think I heard they would be in early September. Tell them supersprint sent you.....

Post Thanks / Like

Cumara? Wasn't he that lousy center for UK a couple years ago?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrSplitshot View Post
    LMAO. Yep "Jewels" Cumara!

Post Thanks / Like

Tackle warehouse has them in stock. Not sure of the foam grip myself.
    Stoner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrSplitshot View Post
    Come on splitshot, you arn't being fair to ol' Souleymane Camara. What can you do 6'11" Light power, moderate- fast action. Broke a limb in the middle of his career... he was an average forward, but was supposed to be a lot better than average.

On a side note, i would absolutely LOVE to have some one of his skill and size on this years team. It would be a big help. Still chalk me up for being pretty pumped up about uk basketball again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWading24 View Post
    Come on splitshot, you arn't being fair to ol' Souleymane Camara. What can you do 6'11" Light power, moderate- fast action. Broke a limb in the middle of his career... he was an average forward, but was supposed to be a lot better than average.

On a side note, i would absolutely LOVE to have some one of his skill and size on this years team. It would be a big help. Still chalk me up for being pretty pumped up about uk basketball again.
    Sorry boys, didn't mean to entice riot among the Souleymane Camara fan club...both members... (Just a little ribbing there.)

Back to the Shimano Cumara...foam handles? Is Shimano kicking it old school like Rhino Tough now? The space-age super-dooper specially-forumlated by Russian cosmonauts never gets slick in your hand eva foam handle "selling points" sound like bunk to me. I'd have to see it myself. Gimme a fine quality cork handle at that kind of coin and we'll talk. I just don't care for foam. It feels like I'm holding a Chia Pet stuffed in a Crown Royal Bag.

Post Thanks / Like

Just returned from Backwaters and that new Cumara Rod is Sweet! I will get one for sure. The shipment should be in sometime in September and i'll make sure i'm there to get one. The foam handle and the hidden hook holder seems like it works very well. I love the feel of this rod. I think Shimano has set the bar very high for a quality lightweight rod at a decent price especially if you consider the Loomis Rods which i am a big fan of. JMO

Post Thanks / Like

Shoot Don, I was just in there myself...we must have barely missed each other.

Oh, and I take back what I said about Cumara. It aint bad.