Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

World Record Smallie

It seems to me the world record smallie will be caught sooner rather than later. I remember Elnut say that the world record will be caught somewhere in the channel on a large trout mimmow. If you think about it, the large swimbait, the Basstrix, or any of the sad/trout imitations in the 10 to 12 inch range could be the ticket. If you had a 997cSI fishfinder to find humps and main lake ledges holding these big fish, why couldn't someone hook on of these big boys? You would also need a muskie rod with at least 20# lime to work these large baits. On the other hand, some kid with a Micky Mouse reel with a wax worm fishing a shallow cove will catch the record. How many of you guys are fishing these large swim baits?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: World Record Smallie

Quote Originally Posted by Bonefish View Post
    It seems to me the world record smallie will be caught sooner rather than later. I remember Elnut say that the world record will be caught somewhere in the channel on a large trout mimmow. If you think about it, the large swimbait, the Basstrix, or any of the sad/trout imitations in the 10 to 12 inch range could be the ticket. If you had a 997cSI fishfinder to find humps and main lake ledges holding these big fish, why couldn't someone hook on of these big boys? You would also need a muskie rod with at least 20# lime to work these large baits. On the other hand, some kid with a Micky Mouse reel with a wax worm fishing a shallow cove will catch the record. How many of you guys are fishing these large swim baits?
    Old Chunknwind tied on the King Kong in a trout pattern at Dale the other day. He was hoping to draw out one of the big muskie that we have been seeing in this one particular area. One HUGE bait this thing is. I remember when he first tied it on at Ky Lake back in May, I did not know he had it on and he made a cast with my back turned. It sounded like a 5 pounder had busted the surface. Talk about a TROPHY lure. This thing eliminates 98% of all fish swimming and looks like a 1 pound trout. I had spoken with Fred McClintock a few months back and he said he had 2 Smallies over 8 last winter but both were caught with Big Trout Imitation baits while trolling for Muskie 40 feet deep over bends in the river channels. Steve Headrick says the same thing in that these MONSTERS rarely come shallow and it will take someone fishing for them specifically to catch them.

Post Thanks / Like

I've often thought about taking a few of the big mudpuppies that I catch out of the creeks on the Ohio around 12 to 15in down to the Hollow and see what that might do,but then I think about the Asian,and silver carp problem on the Ohio and forsure don't want to introduce a spieces that is not indigidice spell? and legallities of using one...I know I used to catch the heck out of smallies with small salamanders..does anyone know if Dale has mudpuppies or hellbenders?? And ofcourse this is live bait and I know most of you use artificial but ,this is a world record we're talkin about to...

Post Thanks / Like

Why do you think the world record smallie will be caught soon???? I think it's one of the toughest records in fishing to beat. You can count the actual number of smallmouth over 10 pounds on one hand and still have a couple of fingers left. The record shattered the 10 lb mark. I doubt it will be broken in any of our lifetimes. But.......

Post Thanks / Like

I think it will be broken either out in California where the are growing all species of Bass bigger all the time, especially in the lakes with Rainbow trout or like I have said, trolling for Musky at Dale Hollow. In all the times I have been at Dale, I see very few people trolling for Musky, therefore, very few baits are put in front of the World Record, that I think is swimming down there right now. They stopped stocking Musky several years ago, but I have seen a few GIANT Musky swimming the shallows around fallen timber. Had one strike my jerkbait in December last year that left nothing but teeth marks and took all the paint on both sides of my Lucky Craft. I don't know much about Musky, but from what I do know, December is a good month to chase them trolling. Some other Musky fisherman may chime in but thost that I have seen trolling for Musky have been in the winter months. Now where did I put my planer boards? If I can get Hens to supply that King Kong, I will bring the planer boards and rods stiff enough to hold on tight.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope to target them in that SUPER smallie lake in California. My wife, kids and I are headed to California next summer, and I have a guide setup for 1st week of June for Parnee. That is the lake where they have broke the California record 3 times in 1 year.

The guy I've talked to personally caught 2 over 8, 1 that he had on that was over 10, and 1 that he tried to catch that he said would have CRUSHED the current world record..................HM.

Don't know, but I have 3 days planned on the lake............

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

It is in Dale, just ask anyone who has dived there. I have heard several stories from different people who has dived there and they reported seeing several smallies over the 10lb mark, but all were very very deep.