Search Fishin.com

Thread: RPM's

Post Thanks / Like

Question RPM's

OK boat gurus, I have a '95 200 Black Max. The rpm guage would not work. There are 2 stators, chargers or whatever they are called. Both have a grey wire coming from them , with only one plugged in. I unplugged it and plugged it in the other stator, and the rpm guage works. Is this ok? Does this mean that I am getting only half charge when the motor is running? Will this hurt anything?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: RPM's

on a mercury i cant answer but on my evinrude the tach would jump up and down tryed loose wire thing but everything cked out come to find out it was the stator and it can catch on fire but hope this helps mine only had one i think mercury has one for each side so i would say one of yours is bad

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea other than to suggest calling Mike down at Jet-A-Marina. I was having trouble with my RPM running too many RPMs when I knew it wasn't running that many. After testing everything, it turned out my Tach was gone. I had them change it out with a new one. I am happy with what they charged, was less than I expected.

As a thank you to Mike, if you call them, tell him Danny sent you. Won't get you a discount, won't get me a kickback, but it will be my way of telling them thank you.

You can find more information on contacting them at www.jetamarina.com

BTW, they will be opening a second store in Clarksville TN soon.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

the grey wire is for the tach reading only,both stators shoul still be wired to the "boxes",you should see the harness coming from each one.No it doesn't
    mean for sure it isn't charging,i have seen some stators still be charging and the tach not work,could be a broken circuit in the tach wire only not the whole stator,buy you a manual, se-lock or clymer,and it will show you how to test it with an ohms meter,you will need to know the resistance numbers and which wires to probe together.if you have one,or get one, hook up an amp meter to your charging system and see if it is putting out full amps.an old mechanical style automotive will work from auto zone.i belive the old style single stator systems were abot 20amps,the dual ones should be 40amp.it won't really hurt but you are right you'll get 1\2 the amperage.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help guys.