Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Barkley Thurs 9/06

Well folks, it was wet... that's for sure. No rain in what, three months, save one day, and I finally get back out and it rains..... almost all day...LMAO

Water was 83 degrees at launch, and had cooled to almost 82 by the time we left at 1 pm. Water had good color, and we started halfway back in some big creeks, with top waters, shallow cranks, lipless crankbaits, spinnerbaits, and notta... nothing. Had some huge fish busting all around us. Some appeared to be in the 4 to 5 pound range, so I tried jerk baits, chatterbaits, flukes, and I'm sure something else...LOL. I finally got a dink on a rooster tail!!!! There were huge balls of shad back in the bays today as well.

We then headed back out to main lake points, ooops... bad decision or at the least, bad points. Then I hit some drops I know about... ooops, by now the wind was about 20 mph out of the south. My feet are still wet and my shoes and socks are off!!! We had 3 and 4 foot rollers.

This kind of rough weather is not great for a guy with a very bad back. Whewwwwwwwwwww

I sure wish I had stuck to my original plan to fish over on KY and launch at Kenlake.

In anycase though, it was a success. We had a blast. I truely enjoyed the company I had today, great conversations, and a lot of laughs, just not a lot of fish.

BTW, even with hydralic steering, my shoulders are aching from the ride back up the lake to the launch. The main lake was tough. I hope you all got that, the lake was rough... LMAO

Everyone I talked to said they had no luck today, but yesterday they were catching them...

Let me leave you with this... it was still a FUN day!!

Danny

PS, Has anyone found grass on Barkley? I had some grass on some baits, and noticed grass wrapped around my prop??

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Barkley Thurs 9/06

If you had 20mph out of the South then you did the right thing in fishing Barkley. 20 out of the South makes Ky un-navigatable, probably 3-5 foot rollers easy with that kind of wind. You would have had one heck of a ride across the lake if you were fishing the LBL side from Ken Lake that is for sure. Your back would have certainly been hating your more than it does now with that ride. KY is always worse with South or North winds than Barkley. Wish you had caught more fish but it was still a day on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

I was on Ky yesterday...on the LBL side all day...you really would not have liked crossing it yesterday afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveStewart View Post
    I was on Ky yesterday...on the LBL side all day...you really would not have liked crossing it yesterday afternoon.
    I suspect you and elnut are both quite right on that!!! LOL... I just figured maybe we would have caught more fish!

One thing I and my brother-in-law were talking about, it is amazing how well built boats are now. The beating they take in water like yesterday, and that they don't just break in half is amazing.

Wish I was going to be back out there today, but I can barely move... LOL I think I'll have to recuperate for several days before my back will be ready for fishing again.

Great lesson for young men here. You think you are invincible as a young man... in your teens, and then in your forties you find out that time you hurt your back really badly, but didn't go to the doctor, in football was a lot worse than you thought. I'm just clad I only broke the facet and the vertabrae only moved out of place. As I've aged, it has gotten really bad. But man, maybe if I had just gone to the doctor, but I don't think we had MRI's back then, so it probably would have been missed anyway.

Oh well.... a few days in bed, and maybe I'll be back out there.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

i have a knee the same way. hurt it a little playing football and now if i dont move it for a while, it cracks and pops like a bag of chips. and im only 31. LOL