Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

catching bait at cumberland

Okay I have a cast net and can't throw it very well yet.

I plan on catching my own bait and was hoping to open a discussion on techniques and tips.

What is your secret on throwing that darn net?

What is the best way to keep them alive?

I am hoping to go in two weeks on a major fishing binge instead of a party binge like this weekend. Had all intentions but the poker run crowd got in my way. No excuses now the crowd is gone and the lake is back for fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: catching bait at cumberland

Don't feel bad for you are not the only one that can't cast this stupid net. Once and only Once, I got out in the back yard and tried it for a while hoping to get it down, but got frustrated and put it back in the box. Sure wish I could throw it as well and hopefully someone here can help with the secrets. As far as keeping them alive, large livewell with no corners, good oxygen coming in and keeping them cold.

Post Thanks / Like

My 15 year old son played with it for five minutes and has it down pat. The little sob. I will practice this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope this will help,there are so many ways to throw them but the easiest way I have found if it is 6ft radius or less and you are right handed, put the loop around your left hand let the rest of the rope lay in front of you, being sure not to step on it or tangled in debrie on the ground you can also hold the line but it gets to be a hand full...hold the yellow collar up in front of you with your left hand making sure the net is free falling and the lead skirt is not tangled ,put your right hand out palm up and your thumb pointing away from your body,pull net up half way up your right hand and grasp let the yellow collar drop from your left hand. Then reach strait down in front of you with your left hand and pull the lead collar up and pinch it with your right thumb while still holding the net, reach behind or to the right of the skirt as far down as you can with you left hand and toss like a frisbee letting go of the entire net this is the hard part for the harder you fling it the wider it spread ..Picture a womans skirt the faster she twirls the wider her dress goes I like that thought anyway. I hope this helps ,I could show you in two minutes it's hard to explain. And here's a couple things I' learned over the years: don't throw agianst the wind :don't target small fry unless you have a net smaller in diameter than1\4 inch for it will act like a gill net and you won't like getting them out promice: and last but not least if you get small catfish around 3 or 4 inches in your net don't try to get them out ,with wire cutters clip there pectarial and dorsal fins off to release...this sound cruel but willsave yourself a painful encounter..sorry for the long post hope it helps ,Chuck..

Post Thanks / Like

Go to calusa.com and watch his tutorial video.Made it very easy for me to learn anyway.The way he shows you makes it easier to cast a bigger net than a smaller net.

New Washington, Indiana, The good ole U.S.A..
    Post Thanks / Like

If fisheater can do it, anyone can do it. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fisheater View Post
    Go to calusa.com and watch his tutorial video.Made it very easy for me to learn anyway.The way he shows you makes it easier to cast a bigger net than a smaller net.
    Johns right it's alot easier watching than trying to explain and also the collars are many different colors mine are yellow....Oh and practice,practice,practice

Post Thanks / Like

Hey now,it will be your turn to play in crap discharge next time....LOL.
    Last edited by fisheater; 09-09-2007 at 03:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my, you guy's must be talkin about sh!t creek...been there done that...

Post Thanks / Like

Yep,wash my net out with dishsoap before i put that sucker in my teeth again.Hell,I threw it out once last week and had to let half of them out just to lift it in the boat,i use a 10 footer.They die fast this time of year though.

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to explain how to throw a net with the written word. If you're around Conley Bottom on your trip, I will be happy to show you. My method probably is the best, but it's easy. Anyway if you are on this end of the lake, I'll be happy to help you if I can. You can find my contact info at www.conleystriper.com.

Post Thanks / Like

I like my method, a $20 bill and a freindly guide and I get to sleep in instead of catching bait