Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Drought is killing me!

We haven't had a rain here on the Pendleton/Harrison county line since the damaging wind storm a month ago and that ran off without soaking the ground,all the livestock owners around here like myself are in serious trouble trying to keep animals fed and find enough hay for the winter.This area is in extreme severe drought and the fields look like dust bowl Oklahoma or pert'near the Mojave desert.Anybody have hay for sale?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drought is killing me!

We're in the same predicament here in Upper Northeast TN. Had a hard freeze (8 degrees F) around Easter and it killed everything that was sprouting. Then we went into a drought that has lasted for months. Add to that the hottest and dryest summer in over 118 years and it all ends in one big shortage of everything. No gardens, no fruit, no grass, and very little water. Many farmers have only managed to mow the hay one time. Others have just done the second mowing and they've come up short. My sister has six deer that come to drink from her bird bath. I live in a small town and the bear have been coming to town, looking for food, every since they came out of hibernation. There is a large apple tree on my property where the deer come every year to feast, there are no apples for them, but they still sleep in the corner of my yard under that tree. A little after dark, they come down to the house and eat the squirrel corn and birdseed and drink from the birdbath. They're even eating loaf bread and watermelon rinds. It's such a sad sight watching everything search for food and water. I wish I knew where you could get some hay for your cattle but, I'm sorry to say, I have no idea. If I hear of anything, I'll post it here. Here's wishing you success.

Post Thanks / Like

i have family who lives and farms in GA. and they have the same problem.
    the deer and animals will have a hard time this winter i feel sure.Farmers are gonna have a harder time.My neighbor has been feeding hay last 2 months and only has enough til christmas maybe,He says the price of beef on foot is nothing because the market is flooded,hmmm if he ain't getting it then who is getting all we are paying in the meat dept.?

Post Thanks / Like

There is a weekly publication delivered in Paris every week called the Citizen Advertiser. This is delivered to everyone in Paris and is free. Placing any type of personal for sale, looking for type adds are totally free. You may place an add with them, Hay Wanted or Needed, and maybe someone in the Paris area will be looking to sale or even have an area you can mow off in trde for the hay it produces. The # is 987-1870. Good luck and I hope things work out. Without feed there are goinig to be alot of live stock being sold by you guys at a loss.

Post Thanks / Like

A guy I work with was at the Lexington stockyards last this week,there were 50 people trying to sell cattle and "NO BUYERS"!!!
    I ran an ad for 2 weeks in the Falmouth Outlook,Cynthiana Democrat,Harrison Shopper,and some local papers in several other counties and never got a phone call.

Post Thanks / Like

kyfanatic, I promised to let you know if I heard of anyone with hay for sale. This is something I learned this morning. Don't know if it will help or not but I sure hope it does.

Here's a web address from WSMV news about some farmers buying hay out of Oklahoma. I hope you can get in contact with someone in this group for help.

http://www.wsmv.com/news/14110605/de...=nash&psp=news

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bassin_bug View Post
    kyfanatic, I promised to let you know if I heard of anyone with hay for sale. This is something I learned this morning. Don't know if it will help or not but I sure hope it does.

Here's a web address from WSMV news about some farmers buying hay out of Oklahoma. I hope you can get in contact with someone in this group for help.

http://www.wsmv.com/news/14110605/de...=nash&psp=news
    Bassin'Bug ,just wanted to tell you thanks for trying to help,I couldn't get the link in this thread to work,but the email you sent did and I may get something out of it if I can get another buyer to help ship some hay in with me.
    Anyway it's nice to know some people actually go out of their way to help another.

Glenn P.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kyfanatic View Post
    Bassin'Bug ,just wanted to tell you thanks for trying to help,I couldn't get the link in this thread to work,but the email you sent did and I may get something out of it if I can get another buyer to help ship some hay in with me.
    Anyway it's nice to know some people actually go out of their way to help another.

Glenn P.
    We managed to grab enough hay, straw, and alfalfa early on. We're getting low and have inquired in the same areas. You may have to look more into the eastern part of the state. A lot of non-commercial farmers still roll hay regularly for thier own personal use. Lots of time they have more than they need.
    Yes this drought is a mulekicker,

We have planted a 5 acre crop of alfalfa for next year. Hope to get about 2-3 cuttings.

Billy

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Redneckshadrap, this is off topic for this post but thought you might find it interesting beings you're a stream man,a guy canoeing/fishing the southfork of the Licking river here in Pendleton county found a mastodon bone recently,said he thought it was just an odd shaped log until further examination.It's at the Cincinnati Museum now.
    Glenn P.

story =

David Boyers of Highland Heights found this twenty pound mastodon bone in the South Licking River this past summer. The bone is now in the possession of the Cincinnati Museum Center.

Highland Heights man makes rare bone discovery in South Licking River

By Jackie Vaughn, Reporter

David Boyers of Highland Heights has been canoeing and fishing the waters of the South Licking River since he was just a little boy. He was only five-years-old when his father started bringing him to this area. They would come here two or three times a year and it became an annual tradition.

Boyers, now 37, still tries to carry on this tradition and makes time to visit whenever he can. His latest trip though yielded a rare surprise.

After having Glen Thaxton of Thaxton's Canoe Rentals drop him, his girlfriend Amanda, and her son, Mikel, off upriver on Hayes Station Road, the three embarked on what they thought would be an ordinary, relaxing day on the lazy river.

"We had been on the river about 20 minutes when we stopped to do some fishing," said Boyers. "I was wading around in a two-foot pool of water, which was surrounded by rock islands, when I saw what I thought was an unusual looking, mossy-covered log."

"I jokingly yelled to Amanda and Mikel, 'Look at the size of this dinosaur bone!' I almost threw it back but the more I looked at it, the more it really did look like a large bone. I noticed a spongy material inside of it. I knew there were no animals in this area with bones quite this large so I put it in the canoe and took it home with me."

Boyers kept the find in the back of his truck for several weeks still unsure of whether he had found a bone or just an ordinary tree stump.

"I didn't want to take it somewhere to be looked at and end up being embarrassed," said Boyers. "I was afraid they were going to say that all I had was a log."

Boyers finally took the item to the Behringer-Crawford Museum in Covington where Archaeologist/anthropologist Jeanine Kreinbrink examined it and then sent him to the paleontologists at the Cincinnati Museum Center.