Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Guntersville report

The frog/rat bite is in full swing on the big G right now. Anyone interested in some "adrenaline rush fishing" needs to come get some. Hopefully tropical storm Humberto that is headed our way will "blow itself out" by the time it arrives, so the high winds won't destroy the mats. This bite should last through October if the mats hold together. Be sure to spool up with 50-60# braid before you come. I had a big one break off my 20# P-Line CXX, which has a break strength in excess of 30#. Remember don't set the hook until you feel the fish or you'll be jerking the bait away from them. (Easier said than done)

Shad are beginning to school around the lake too, so a spinnerbait or 'trap will get you some schooling bass too. Most of them are 2 - 3 1/2 pounds.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Guntersville report

Quote Originally Posted by ShadLips View Post
    The frog/rat bite is in full swing on the big G right now. Anyone interested in some "adrenaline rush fishing" needs to come get some. Hopefully tropical storm Humberto that is headed our way will "blow itself out" by the time it arrives, so the high winds won't destroy the mats. This bite should last through October if the mats hold together. Be sure to spool up with 50-60# braid before you come. I had a big one break off my 20# P-Line CXX, which has a break strength in excess of 30#. Remember don't set the hook until you feel the fish or you'll be jerking the bait away from them. (Easier said than done)

Shad are beginning to school around the lake too, so a spinnerbait or 'trap will get you some schooling bass too. Most of them are 2 - 3 1/2 pounds.
    ShadLips: Planning on coming down to gunnersville this coming weekend and fishing all day saturday and most all day sunday. Just wondering if the top water bite is still rocking along or did the storm tear the mats up and drive them down deep with a shut mouth??? Any words of wisdom or advise from the master(you) would be appreciated. Thanks...283 in Tn.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm definately not a "master" because the fish can humble a man with a big head in a New York minute. The BFL guys got their arses handed to them last weekend because of the front.

The mats are fine, but the cold front sure gave 'em lock-jaw for a day or so. By the time you get here they will "strap on the ol' feed bag" again. Good Luck and catch some big 'uns!!

Post Thanks / Like

Tnstratos283 we meet again, I will there Sat. and Sun. the next week-end 9/28 & 9/30. Got on the frog kick in Canada this year and can't wait to get back into the weeds and the bass.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm definately not a "master" because the fish can humble a man with a big head in a New York minute. The BFL guys got their arses handed to them last weekend because of the front.

The mats are fine, but the cold front sure gave 'em lock-jaw for a day or so. By the time you get here they will "strap on the ol' feed bag" again. Good Luck and catch some big 'uns!!
    Shad ...thanks for the reply, glad the mats are still holding together for awhile longer. Didn't know if up river is producing better right now or around the middle of it is were we usually go...Thanks...283

Extreme...Glad to hear from you again. I too love the grass and the mats of gunnersville. I have yet to catch a big one down there, but I have seen them several times in the shallows in the spring. Maybe this time will be my weekend for a hog...hope so. Good luck to you when you make it down. Hope you get your line streeeeched ....283

Post Thanks / Like

I caught my fish mid-river between Goose Pond and Siebold. If you're fishing mats be sure to fish the "Rice Krispies" sounding ones ... listen for the snap, crackle, and pop and fish those areas hard with your frog or rat. With the cooler evening temps, the schools of shad should find their way to the backs of coves if you want schooling fish. I like prowling the mats with a Ribbit where the HOGS live. Don't forget the heavy braid!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks shad for the help...I really do appreciate it. I am going to drop in the bait shop there at goosepond and check to see if they have any of the ribbits and pick some up...been wanting to get some of them anyway. I figured they should be carrying them down there. Best I remember a watermellon seed, watermellon/red or a green pumpkin was a good color down there on the magII worms...figured it would work on the ribbits as well. I will have the 30+ or 50+ lb. braid spooled on before I get there for sure. Thanks again..will let you know how it goes when we get back...283 in Tn.

Post Thanks / Like

30# braid simply won't cut it because it can't stand the shock of a big bass. It breaks at 30# on a steady pull, but it breaks much quicker when you snap it ... or when a big bass blasts it. I use at least 50# Power Pro which is 12# mono diameter. Pick up some of the 3 1/2" size Ribbits in the Louisana Craw color (watermelon top/orange bottom ... but don't tell anybody with the red weighted Stanley Ribbit hooks. The weighted hooks cast better and keep the bait facing up, so you'll hook the fish in the upper lip.

Doug Campbell that owns Waterfront Grocery now operates the Goose Pond tackle shop too. He should have what you need .... that is, if everyone doesn't buy them out before you get here. Good Luck!!

Post Thanks / Like

30# braid simply won't cut it because it can't stand the shock of a big bass. It breaks at 30# on a steady pull, but it breaks much quicker when you snap it ... or when a big bass blasts it. I use at least 50# Power Pro which is 12# mono diameter. Pick up some of the 3 1/2" size Ribbits in the Louisana Craw color (watermelon top/orange bottom ... but don't tell anybody with the red weighted Stanley Ribbit hooks. The weighted hooks cast better and keep the bait facing up, so you'll hook the fish in the upper lip.

Doug Campbell that owns Waterfront Grocery now operates the Goose Pond tackle shop too. He should have what you need .... that is, if everyone doesn't buy them out before you get here. Good Luck!!
    Thanks shad for the info...I really appreciate the help. Hoping to catch some good fish. Will holler back at you on the return trip...Roger up in Tn.