Search Fishin.com

Thread: Dial Up Users

Post Thanks / Like

Dial Up Users

After a discussion initiated here about Dial Up speeds and how some of you had to sit a long time to read websites.. I decided to do some redesign on my personal fishing guide site.
    I wanted to ask if some of you would check out the Dial Up Version of my website and let me know what the load times are. I am on cable so I have no idea how the pages load at 28Kbp speed or 56kbp speeds.. I feel like If I cater too the slower speeds it will be better for my customers.
    Fishin.com does not use a lot of pictures on most pages so load times should not be bad except on the Front Page and some of the Florida Pages where I have left pictures up.. and if that is a problem LET ME KNOW and I will delete most of them.. If you have a problem with the site load times other than the board.. please let me know.. (Peter is in charge of the D board stuff)
    Any way if you are interested in checking out the new Dial Up Version of my site please send me an IM through the Fishin.com System and I will send you the Website Address.
    Jim Dicken

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dial Up Users

The next thing to consider in website building is for mobile users on handheld devices like the iPhone, blackberry or blackjack. Not saying fishin.com necessarily needs to be this way, but checking fishing reports or the latest posts when you're on the road or on the water could be cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishrgurl View Post
    The next thing to consider in website building is for mobile users on handheld devices like the iPhone, blackberry or blackjack. Not saying fishin.com necessarily needs to be this way, but checking fishing reports or the latest posts when you're on the road or on the water could be cool.
    OK, anyone know how to program for that?
    Or where I can learn how?
    Or do you just need to make the page smaller..??

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good question. I'm not an expert, but here's what I've observed.

I've looked at the fishin.com homepage from by blackjack mobile device and it doesn't display well. I think that the forums are probably OK.

Essentially, I think you create an alternate website that is very simple - i.e. you strip out all pictures/graphics (or make them very small) and shorten the text as much as possible. You also make it in a single column. In other words, I do not think it's difficult from a web programming side.

To access the mobile version, you probably create a new URL such as www.fishin.com/m or mobile.fishin.com

Here's a mobile web page that the national weather service has developed:

http://mobile.srh.weather.gov/

You can contrast that with their normal page:

http://www.weather.gov/

Part of the consideration is not that the screen space is so limited, but that you don't want to have to download large amounts of data over a cellular network. They're getting faster - I've got the GSM network - but they are generally as slow or slower than dial up.

Post Thanks / Like

Getting a web site to work well on a handheld IS definitely a separate problem from making it load okay on dialup. You can make it load quicker by doing what you mentioned, keeping your content simple and your files small. But it's pretty tough, maybe impossible, to make a site work really well on a 4" handheld and not look crappy on a 19" pc monitor. Another solution I've heard of is the new .mobi domain. It's a new top-level domain dedicated solely to handhelds. I don't have one myself, though, so I can't vouch for it personally. Either way, it's gotta be expensive, since it would entail basically re-creating all your content in a format suitable for handhelds, and hosting parallel sites. But there does seem to be some interest, and handhelds are all the rage, so it might be worth it. Here's a web site with some info about .mobi, if you're interested: http://mtld.mobi/

Maybe we'll see fishin.mobi some day!