Search Fishin.com

Thread: Slot fish

Post Thanks / Like

Slot fish

I caught a rainbow trout yesterday at Wolf Creek dam. Beautiful fish, awesome iridescent colors, strong fighter, and fat as I've ever seen. He was 19 inches long which put him in the slot to immediately release, which is fine I wasn't going to keep him anyway. Not, at least, until I saw the pool of blood in my boat and discovered that he was hooked in the gill. I was careful with this fish but sometimes it just happens. I let him go, I had handed him a death sentence with that injury but I know the regulations so I let him swim off to meet his maker. Now I'm having a moral issue with it. Next time, I think I'll roll the dice, take the ticket. It just isn't right to put a dead fish back in the water when it could be food on the table.

Now I know some unethical folks might cut the gill on an otherwise healthy fish and put them on a stringer if this was allowed, but I am ethical and that's why I'm having a problem with it and why I'll probably break the rules next time it happens.

anyone else?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Slot fish

You are telling on yourself, ethical people don't break the rules.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Kendall is one of our favorite campgrounds, and fishing areas. I agree it is a hard thing to do when you know the fish you are about to release is going to die any way. But as you stated it is the law. Also be aware that there could be more than a fine involved if the game warden suspects that you do this on purpose you could lose your privilege to have a fishing license. In an attempt tp reduce fish loss we have been clipping or filing barbs off the hooks and even dulling the points on the hook, we lose alot more than we land but so far we kill a lot less than before. I guess this will have to do untill we start to live in a world where common sense prevails over greedy illegal folks that cause laws like these to be made.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought they removed the slot limit until the dam was finished?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wormin View Post
    I thought they removed the slot limit until the dam was finished?
    That was just from Burkesville south, It is back in effect starting Monday for the entire river with falling water temps.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't feel guilty, that dead fish will feed many other forms of wildlife downstream. He will help replace the other fish that were caught, butt, would have died a natural death and fed those other animals/fish.

Also, if you get caught, the KDFWR can now use this post to help prosecute you if that should ever happen.

Post Thanks / Like

only below the public ramp at burksville south

Post Thanks / Like

Yep Donger you're right, that fish stayed in the river eco-system and will eventually add nutrients to the water and life goes on, good point. And there is always that slim chance that he survived to be caught again when he grows up a little. When it's all said and done -and I've done my venting- I always follow the rules. It pains me to see all the folks who flagrantly disregard them. I've said my peace, see you all on the water!