Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD)

Has anyone seen first-hand some EHD infected deer or a lot of dead ones in an area? I keep hearing reports that we're having the worst case of it in the history of the state.

Here's a link about it:

http://fw.ky.gov/newsrelease.asp?nid...05C122C581C644

We need to get a good frost to kill some of the gnats and midges that spread it!

What's everyone hearing and seeing about this?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD)

Haven't seen anything first hand, but keep reading reports about it. The places I hunt haven't seen any sign of it. Be glad when that first frost gets here though.

Hopefully we can keep CWD out of the state. As far as I know, there hasn't been a case yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I've not seen or found any dead deer on my place or any neighboring places,but I know of at least 15 deer found dead in northern Pendleton county (I'm in southern Pendleton) and I've heard of several cows dying from it too,this was confirmed by UK's ag dept.
    I think it's natures way of compensating for the drought and lack of food this year.The disease has been around a long time and isn't new so I wouldn't sweat it yet.

Meanwhile alot of livestock will suffer this year if we don't get some hay relief.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep hearing about it, but have yet to see signs where I hunt. Have some land leased on Anderson/Washington cty line. I hear it seems to be worse in eastern Ky.

Post Thanks / Like

i havent personally seen any but have talked to several guys that have found some in southern indiana .a big 10 pointer was found down by sulphur and a couple down around patoka lake .i think a small buck and a doe or 2 by the lake laying by the water

Post Thanks / Like

I myself have found 5 dead deer on 2 of the farms I hunt 2 bucks and 3 does. I have 2 other farms I hunt on and have not been there to check them out yet, these are all in Henry Co. Trust me you will smell them before you find em.

Post Thanks / Like

I talked to a friend who has a farm in Boyle County. He has found 5 so far on his farm. 3 were nice bucks, 2 10 pointers and a 6 pointer. All were found next to water and he said you could smell them well before you found them.

Post Thanks / Like

i have not seen anything out around rough river on the land i hunt i am going down this weekend for some scouting and maybe some sguirrels. hope it has not got out there. went out last weekend and saw three does on the edge of the wood line.

Post Thanks / Like

Went to visit the place I hunt in Warren/Butler County and the property owner said he has found 3 does. I spoke with a hunter at my church and he said he has found 9 dead. 6 bucks and 3 does. He said the Bucks were real nice. Not too long ago there was a story on WBKO about it, you can probably find it archived at www.wbko.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Has anyone seen first-hand some EHD infected deer or a lot of dead ones in an area? I keep hearing reports that we're having the worst case of it in the history of the state.

Here's a link about it:

http://fw.ky.gov/newsrelease.asp?nid...05C122C581C644

We need to get a good frost to kill some of the gnats and midges that spread it!

What's everyone hearing and seeing about this?
    Art it is running rampade here in Northern Kentucky. I have it on excellent source that one farmer in the Eminence area, (henry county) has personally found 55 deer on his farm alone. I manage a large trac of land that we hunt on and it's eat up with deer. This year we are seeing way less deer than normal. We haven't found many dead yet but we just got the corn cut and it's been too hot to get out. I'll keep you posted and I am concerned to say the least. We let 120 to 130 class bucks walk all the time, it makes me sick to think it all in vain. They also die a horrible death with this stuff too.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard of the farmer who found all them deer dead, they were in a cornfield, right. I hunt and live in Henry Co. and my total found dead so far is 8, I found 3 more Sat. out scouting. I still have one more farm that is around 400 acres that I have not even been on yet, so I expect to find a few there as well.