Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sighting in a bow??

i just bought my first bow a few weeks ago. Any suggestions on what yardage to set my 3 pins at? Any good tips on sighting in a bow? Thanks in advance,

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sighting in a bow??

Quote Originally Posted by sparrow75 View Post
    i just bought my first bow a few weeks ago. Any suggestions on what yardage to set my 3 pins at? Any good tips on sighting in a bow? Thanks in advance,
    I would recommend setting your pins at 20, 30 and 40 yards. Even if you do not plan to harvest an animal at 40yards you should practice at that range to help improve your accuracy at closer distances.

As for sighting in a bow here are some tips. First, you move a front sight the direction you are hitting. If your arrow is hitting low left, you move the sight pin down and left. Always start close to the target (10 yards or so) so you won’t miss. Get your pins close and then only make one minor adjustment at a time as your form,etc can cause erratic arrow placement. Set your distance first then your windage at longer distances. Also, shoot a new bow several hundred times before your final sight adjustments as the string/cables may stretch during the first few hundred shots. This may also cause your nocking point to move so check everything before your final sight in. Mark your sight pin and windage location with a pencil so you can tell if something has moved or if you have to make a change. Don’t shoot too much at one time when sighting in as you will get tired and your form will suffer causing poor arrow placement. Your sight pins should all be in a straight vertical line. You are either canting your bow or your bow is out of tune if your arrows hit the center up close and further left or right as you move back. Try to keep your bow level without torquing it and try to keep consistent form and release when hunting or practicing. Slight (even unaware) changes will have major impacts into your performance.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sighting in a bow??

thanks, I'll work on it this weekend!