Search Fishin.com

Toney Guest

Exclamation Does everybody know about these carp?

http://www.tnfish.org/VideosFishingSurveys_TWRA/BillDanceAsianSilverCarpVideoTWRA.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does everybody know about these carp?

It would be great to figure out how to get them to bite on a hook because it would be awesome to fight them with a rod and reel.

Post Thanks / Like

There have been a few threads about them here before. Apparently Illinois has them really bad: http://www.lmilo.org/illinois.html
    So many people have been hurt by them that in some places people carry trash can lids, folding lawn chairs, etc. as "CDD's" (Carp Deflection Devices). They're really popular with the bow-fisherman. I wish they'd shoot them all.

Post Thanks / Like

I live near Carrollton, right on the Ohio river. I want to try bowfishing for them, so I asked our local C.O. if there had been any reported in the pool below Markland dam. He told me that he had recently been out on an electro-shocking survey with the fishery biologist, and they had found some of the big-head carp, but none of the silvers.
    I've been able to go bowfishing at night once, up at Markland, and all I saw was gar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bull_bluegill View Post
    I live near Carrollton, right on the Ohio river. I want to try bowfishing for them, so I asked our local C.O. if there had been any reported in the pool below Markland dam. He told me that he had recently been out on an electro-shocking survey with the fishery biologist, and they had found some of the big-head carp, but none of the silvers.
    I've been able to go bowfishing at night once, up at Markland, and all I saw was gar.
    Thank God for that! They might be fun for bow-fisherman, but silver carp are the LAST thing we need in the Ohio. They have totally ruined the fishing in the Illinois River. Right now, they estimate that 9 out of 10 fish in that river are Asian Silver carp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RoadToad View Post
    Thank God for that! They might be fun for bow-fisherman, but silver carp are the LAST thing we need in the Ohio. They have totally ruined the fishing in the Illinois River. Right now, they estimate that 9 out of 10 fish in that river are Asian Silver carp.

2 years ago while fishing a tournament I snagged a BigHead Carp with a crankbait. I knew it wasn't a native fish and put it in the livewell and called the Game Warden. He contacted Frankfort and they said they had no idea the Big Head Carp were that far upstream (Markland Pool) .

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't the Illinois River where most of the 'flying carp' videos you see on the 'net are taped?