Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb weird Fish Caught @ KY Lake

This past Saturday while fishing @ KY Lake. I foul hooked some weird fish I have never seen before and why for the life of me. I did not take a picture of it, forgot all about my cell phone and digital camera in the boat. I'll describe it to the best as I can.

It was about 5 to 6 inches long, it's mouth was somewhat like that of a carp. But not quite as big of a over hang on the front, long skinny body but roundish. It's side fins stuck out like a catfish's do, the color markings were stripes going up and down from back to belly. The colors were Dark brown stripe, then a white stripe down the entire length of the fish. It's tail was kinda small like that of a golby, not to wide and fanned out like a bluegill, bass or walleye.
    Can anyone identify the fish from the description I have given. This has puzzled me since Saturday and no one in my Bass club could identify the fish either.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: weird Fish Caught @ KY Lake

Perch maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a logperch, which is fairly common,but you don't hear of many people cacthing them while bass fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Clyde,
    See if this is it:

http://www.natureserve.org/explorer/servlet/NatureSearve?searchname=Percina+Caprodes+

Post Thanks / Like

If the link does'nt work, go to KDFW under species list and type in logperch.

Post Thanks / Like

If it was a logperch, then it was probably the state record. KDFWR lists it as less than half an ounce unless that's a typo. The record was registered not that long ago and I remember when it happened because I was surprised a fish that small could even be caught on a hook.

Post Thanks / Like

I caught a wild fish out of the creek earlier this year... I think i decided it was probably a Golden Redhorse, but i guess i will not ever really know. You never know what you might catch. I think i have caught 4-5 smallmouth and Kentucky mix out of the creek this year, MeanMouth i believe.

Post Thanks / Like

Msg, no wonder you guys didn't win the tourney, you were fishing for the wrong kind of fish... LMAO

I agree, it sounds like a perch. I see them caught a lot on shows like InFisherman and Lindner's Angling Edge. They seem to be mostly caught north of here, and mostly when ice fishing. I caught one down there about the same size a few years ago.

We used to always catch drum out of the Ohio River when I was growing up, and Dad always called them perch. I didn't learn they were called drum until much later. I was very confused.

I once caught what looked like a black bluegill, very good size. I have since found out that those are called rock bass. No telling what you will catch down there.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

I caught a perch this weekend on a rattle trap. Never done that before! Didn't foul hook him, he actually tried to eat it! Had him hooked right in the mouth just like a bass! Definitely a first for me! I too was on Kentucky Lake! It was probably the biggest perch I've ever seen in person. It was a good ten inches or twelve inches! I felt bad throwing it back, would have made a great dinner!

Post Thanks / Like

I had always heard the term drum used before too, until i spent more time in the tackle shops, and realized it is known to a lot of people as a "White Perch" Its funny all different names people will call a certain fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MsgMills View Post
    It was about 5 to 6 inches long, it's mouth was somewhat like that of a carp. But not quite as big of a over hang on the front, long skinny body but roundish. It's side fins stuck out like a catfish's do, the color markings were stripes going up and down from back to belly. The colors were Dark brown stripe, then a white stripe down the entire length of the fish. It's tail was kinda small like that of a golby, not to wide and fanned out like a bluegill, bass or walleye.
    Except for the description of the mouth, that sounds to me like a sauger. Do you remember what the dorsal fin looked like? What about teeth?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RoadToad View Post
    Except for the description of the mouth, that sounds to me like a sauger. Do you remember what the dorsal fin looked like? What about teeth?
    The original description definitely didn't sound like a drum to me. As other's have suggested, perhaps it's a perch...a YELLOW perch:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perch

But the mouth on those isn't anything like a carp so that's probably not it either.