Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fall fishing "tips" for bass

The older I get,,,, the more I forget.
    Yesterday at the tackle shop I was told.

"Shad will do,,, what shad do",,,, & ,,,,"shad will be where, they are supposed to be",,,,,

(RATS,,, I hate Kung Fu movies with the weard sayings)

I know when the water starts to cool down the shad will start to school, they should move to the back of coves. Anything you guys can add to my knowlage, about Bass and shad behavior.

Spinner baits, crank baits
    and maybe a pop-r or buzz bait in the morning for fall fishing?

Junior

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fall fishing "tips" for bass

Shad are going to move to the shallower areas of a lake as the water cools. Bass being lazy are simply going to follow them and take the opportunity for a easy meal. With this in mind you pretty much named all of the lures that are your typical fall pattern. Just remember that while in the spring it may be hard to catch fish on topwater with cold temps, in the fall sometimes you can throw them all the way through Nov, and even during the midday. Often the bass will get the schools balled up and at some point there will be a majic moment where they will hit a hot dog thrown on top of a school of baitfish.
    Just look for the shad balls closer to wind blown banks, or structure. Focus on shad crankbaits, splash it's / pop r and buzz baits and spinner baits. Once you find active fish and shad it can be some fun topwater action.
    Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Fall is a good time to fish top water baits along the top of the ledges of creek channels. The water levels are down on the reservoirs and the top ledges are not very deep.My last fishing trip to KY lake with my dad was back in Oct 1984 and we caught three nice bass and all in shallow water. Two 4 lb bass near a stump in very shallow water next to the creek channel. I estimate the creek channel was about 10 ft deep in Oct when the lake is drawn down to near winter pool.The other 6 lb bass was caught along the shoreline in Cypress Bay. There was an old railroad track thing going into the water. They use to use these and a trolley like device to launch boats into the water. They put the boat trolley on the rails and then used a winch to lower the trolley up and down the tracks. I forget how they get the boat off your boat trailer and onto the trolley car. But they must have used a crane of some type. I was really young the last time I saw a pleasure boat of my dad's friends launched that way. We were going boating on the Ohio River and they used this setup to launch boats down the steep banks along the river.I'll bet that big 6 lb largemouth was up there feeding near the rail road ties between the two rails. Never caught any fish in that spot before and I had fished that bank many times before. We stopped going to Cypress Bay Resort after that trip due to some differences with the owner. Seems that when my boat broke down he wanted to not fix it right away so that he could rent a motor to us. When the rental motor broke he fixed that before he fixed my motor and it cost me a lot more money than we had planned to spend. We have to pay for the rental of the motor for the entire week while my motor sat there not being repaired. And it was not because he could not get parts. The last time I went back to look at that place it looked like it did 20 years ago. The Cabins were the same and the place looked like a dump down by the lake. We use to go there because they were cheap cabins and the bay is protected from North Winds or heavy South Winds. So you can fish the bay most of the time. Fishing the main lake depends on the winds when you fish out of a little 16 ft john boat type bass boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Don't forget the chatterbait....it's deadly.I caught some very nice fish last Saturday @ Brookville in Indiana one of them was a 4 pounder .The chatterbait was 3/8 chart. color tipped with a 4" white grub.It was the ticket.
    Dont forget your rat-l-trap.Flukes (shad pattern).Fish the tree tops stumps,fish the timber period.Goodluck Denny,Eaton Oh

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Fall fishing "tips" for bass

All good tips ,Thanks Guys