Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Most reliable outboard?

We've all been there, boat won't start, friends boat won't start, or the poor guy at the ramps boat won't start. So who, in you opinion, makes the most dependable, worry free, starts every time and gets you home motor? I'm not worried about performance, looks or fuel efficiency, just a motor that starts up and runs everytime I ask it to. What do you all think. New or used, 150 to 250 hp range.

Thanks for your input!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Most reliable outboard?

well my motor is not in that range. i have a 40 4 stroke and i have never been stuck on the ramp. now on cold days you have to let them warm up or as you idel up it will stall. so i will let it run while i park the truck and by the time i get back it is ready to run.

Post Thanks / Like

Most reliable motor?? One taken care of, in my opinion.

What I mean is that I had an Evenrude Intruder, never had a problem, but always had it serviced.

I now have a Mercury Opti-max and it starts everytime too.

I always store my boats with Stabil in the gas, and take precautions to keep the motor in good shape, including having it serviced.

That's my opinion, not worth a lot, but hopefully it will help you.

Thank of this though, if one of the companies truly made bad motors, they would not be in business very long at all.

Good luck,

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

This is like an oxymoron It's not if motors blow but when...That being said, I'm a yamaha man myself.
    Likes zx150 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I learned a little something from my wife's uncle. He is a mechanic, and has run his motor for over 20 years with out it blowing.

After reading this board, I've noticed something.... and I am knocking on wood... LOL... but every motor I have read about that blew was being run at WOT. Even our cars can't be red lined all the time. If you drive your car at red line all the time, you blow that engine as well. So, I do my best not to run WOT everywhere I go on the lake. Nothing wrong with cruising between 45 and 60, with plenty left. Now I'll knock on wood again to make sure I don't blow tomorrow. *grin*

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

asking for a motor to be guaranteed to start everytime is like asking for an 8lb bass guaranteed everytime.Maintenance and using one is a key to long service.Everyone has their favorite,just like lures.

Post Thanks / Like

My Pro V 150 Yamaha blew when i was not at WOT but it didn't matter according to the mechanic. He pretty much said what buzzking said....I'm still a fan of Yamaha!

Post Thanks / Like

Well that depends on what you operating RPM range is danny. Take my motor for example, it makes the most HP between 5200 and 5800. If you are running lower than that designed range ( different for every motor) then you are lugging it and any experienced outboard mechanic will tell you this is as bad as redlining one all the time. I usually run around 5200-5300 and stay in the "power band" without redlining, thats how you make motors last, lugging them will kill them over time.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had my share of problem engines in the past... last one was a merc cruiser 90 that had electrical gremlins to the tune of $300 a year. Just the other day I tried to help out a fellow who couldn't get his HONDA to start. Of all engines I thought would be reliable, Honda should be at the top of the list. My old tohatsu 35 always starts on the first or second pull. That's the kind of dependability I would like out of a bigger engine. And for the price you have to pay for one, well, they sure aught to be trouble free. Anyway, you all are probably right, take care of your motor and it will take care of you.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Most reliable outboard?

The Yamaha is one of the more depedables, also the EFI Mercs which I own. The EFI Mercs have been referred to as bullit proof by some on other boards.
    Stoner

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Stoner

Post Thanks / Like

Buzz,

I'm going to certainly take your word for it. I've not blown one yet, Knock on wood, so I don't have the experience of anyone that has blown one.

DJD was the first one I've seen to admit to blowing one and not be at WOT, so it disproves my hypothesis, doesn't it??

One thing I may not have mentioned though is the preventitive maintance. I think that too is important. What do you think? Like I said, I'll defer to your experience.

Thanks Buzzer.... I appreciate the help,

Danny