Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Best outboard motor

I'm in Florida and do a lot of offshore fishing. Have had many boats and have many friends with boats from 20' up to 40'.
    I myself have three boats. Some say I need my head examined. I do have however a 1985 26' Mako with a 225 Johnson on the back.
    I also have a 2002 21' Hewes Redfish with a 225 Yama V Max on it. My Mako I have left sit for months (8-10) at one time, and it starts right up every time. It has never left me stranded and I've had this boat for 20 years. The Johnson is 1996. My Hewes however with the Yamaha V Max needs to head to the mechanic anytime I let it sit for more then three months. I've only had the Hewes for 7 years and I've spent more money on it in 7 years keeping it running then I have in 20 years owning the Mako. Just a thought to help anyone make a decission.

Post Thanks / Like
    2009 Honda 135 and only thing I've done to it has been oil changes, lower unit oil changes, and one set of filter changes. Starts everytime first attempt, idles smooth and quiet always,never so much as a hiccup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow this post is a blast from the past! Still run my 2003 Honda 130 hard. I tournament fish and often make long runs WOT. The lower unit has needed a little love but the motor still purrs. No gauge but I'm sure I'm well over 1000 hours. It's never been in the shop for a motor issue. Would buy a Honda again for sure - problem is few dealers outfit their boats with em. Guess they don't make the same margin as they do suzukis b/c that's practically all you ever see anymore on the boats I use (non bass).

Post Thanks / Like

Love my Etech

I have a little over 400 hours on my 225HO Etech. Almost all of those hours have been at WOT. Never had the slightest issue with it. Hope I haven't jinxed myself now that spring is here.

Post Thanks / Like

reliable

the motor that is taken care of properly, preventative & regular maintenance(waterpump).
    Fresh premium fuel always , a quality fuel additive (I personally like sea foam).
    without these things & a couple other things depending on carbon or efi, 2 or 4 stroke no motor will be reliable.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a merc 150 for 10 years. And I've had a Johnson 175 for 6. I'm very lucky as I never ever service them, take any precautions, and basically just fish out of em. Not saying I shouldn't, but I don't. My dad never did/does and the habit wore off I guess. He never winterizes his boat and I've seen his cables in solid frozen ice many times. His boat always starts right up. In conclusion, I think if u got a good motor, u got a good motor regardless how much upkeep u do and if u got a crappy one, u just got a crappy one.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 1976 85hp johnson that been on 3 boats,canada yearly,burnt a billon gallons of gas,in the river often,been beat banged and bounced off everything,only left me once over a dead battery. I put in dual batterys ,one for motor,one for other electrics and a switch where i can connect together for a jump start. Been through a dozen props.