Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Alum. boat repair??

I have a 05 Tracker PT175 and the back deck lid (over gas tank & batteries) has broken the spot welds holding on the support brace going across it. Does anyone know of a good way to fix them w/out having to reweld it. Right now it only has 4 spot welds holding from one side, the other side just flaps arround, and it allowes the lid to flex way to much if you were to stand on it.
    Note to self: Aluminum boats don't like fat guys fishing in the back.
    I'm open to any and all ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Alum. boat repair??

i am not familliar with that exact boat, but it most cases, a good steel rivet will hold unless it needs to be water proof

Post Thanks / Like

If you bought the boat from a Tracker dealer, they may be able to have the repair made under warranty. I know for a fact that they will on the hull. I'm not sure if the lifetime hull warranty is transferable or if it will apply to your situation, though it does sound structural and relevant to the hull integrity, in nature to me.

Post Thanks / Like

i had the same problem with my 01 pro team 175. i used a rivet but it can be a pain to take up all that carpet to put a rivet in. i did it to all the supports on my lid so that i would not have to waoory about it again. took me all day getting the carpet to look good again.

Post Thanks / Like

Talked with the dealer and the hull has a lifetime warranty on welds not the deck. I hate to reweld it in fear of burning the carpet not to mention it's 1 foot from the gas tank.

SC6, rivets would work I just hate having to drill holes in fairly new boat, maybe a last resort.

Does anyone know of a product named Alumaloy, it's kinda like solider but alot stronger?
    Thanks for the replies,
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Doug,onemorecast56,has experience with aluminum boats.Meyers boat works1-502-543-7787.

Post Thanks / Like

i have seen that on tv. but i have no idea how that would work without burning the carpet. i tried everything befor just riveting it. i felt the same way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by worm1 View Post
    I have a 05 Tracker PT175 and the back deck lid (over gas tank & batteries) has broken the spot welds holding on the support brace going across it. Does anyone know of a good way to fix them w/out having to reweld it. Right now it only has 4 spot welds holding from one side, the other side just flaps arround, and it allowes the lid to flex way to much if you were to stand on it.
    Just use a good amount of silicone and clamp it, If you can't get a clamp on put a couple strips of duct tape on it untill it cures. It will hold forever and will flex with the lid when you walk on it. When I extended the deck in my old aluminum boat I made compartment lids out of aluminum. I made braces just like whats in the Trackers and used the silicone. Never came apart. Hope this helps.

rustedhook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by worm1 View Post
    Don't know If it will work on aluminum, but it sure works on wood. I would check and see if liquid nail would work to hold it. If not I believe J B weild would definitely hold it for sure . You might have to clamp it or put pressure against it (the weild spots on the hinge or lid) till it sets up or dries, but it beats drilling a hole in it and possibility of weaking it or taking a chance of burning your carpet with a real spot weild and having to take your carpet up...which would be a real pain. You should be able to find both at a hardware store, lowes, or home depot. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I like the liquid nail and silicone ideas. Think I'll start there, worst case I'll have to srape it off.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem. I simply got the flattest headed bolts that I could find at Lowe's. I drilled 8 holes through the lid and bracket, ensuring of course, that they were alinged. Then bolted it all down with lock washers and Lock-Tite. It's been several years without a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe that tracker won't fix that under warranty. the boat is still under warranty right?

When I moved to Hawaii a few years back, the movers put a forklift thru the side of my tin boat. I was short on time as i had a bass tourney a few days after my stuff was delivered, so I fixed the boat with a hammer and some JB Weld (that stuff is like duct tape!! it will fix anything) worked great