Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

lake Weiss fishing info????

i am planning on coming to lake weiss next week for 3 or 4 days of croppie fishing. i have heard great things about this lake. i have read the reports that the lake is very low and most ramps are closed. can anyone please give me some recent info on the lake and the fishing conditions??? can you tell me whats working and where (for croppie mostly, may do a little bass fishing to)?? we plan on staying at J.R.'s. can anyone offer any info on J.R.'s lodging and marina?? where are the nearest restaurants, or the nearest walmart (or similiar store), nearest grocery etc...? i would really appreciate any help before i make the 500 mile drive from st. louis, mo. how much are the out of state fishing permits? thanks a lot! respond here or send me an e-mail.

mike (wildcat5415@sbcglobal.net)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: lake Weiss fishing info????

My mother lives on that lake and fishes it almost daily. She's no slouch either. Lake is already at winter pool. Very few crappie and stripers are being caught right now. Weather is still a bit warm and the water temp is fairly high. She says the fall fishing will be a little later than normal this year. Nearest Walmart is in Leesburg I think..just a few miles from the lake. She says the catfish are are about the only thing biting well right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Out of state permits are $21 for 7 days I think...as far as restaurants are concerned...you will have about a 20 minute drive for anything nice or other than fast food. J.R.'s is your typical fish camp. Not bad, not great..gets the job done. The guide service there is pretty good, if you choose to use them. Several of the boat ramps are inaccessible at this time as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandguy1 View Post
    Out of state permits are $21 for 7 days I think...as far as restaurants are concerned...you will have about a 20 minute drive for anything nice or other than fast food. J.R.'s is your typical fish camp. Not bad, not great..gets the job done. The guide service there is pretty good, if you choose to use them. Several of the boat ramps are inaccessible at this time as well.
    ok, thanks a lot for the info. guess we will come down there wednesday and try our luck for a few days, we been planning the trip too long to cancel anyway. i am coming from st. louis,mo., several guys are coming down from lexington, ky. thanks a lot for all the info, very helpful. i will say hi to mom if i see her out there!! haha!