Search Fishin.com

Thread: Live Bait Box

Post Thanks / Like

Live Bait Box

Does anyone know where I can buy a Large minnow baskest/box to keep bait in this winter. I'm looking for one I can put on the side of a dock.
    If you made one let me know how you did it.
    Thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Live Bait Box

You can get the one i have from bass pro shops. It says it is a 130 gallon bait holding net. It is the nets that float and have a lid on them. They have them listed as a 36"x36" now i think. It works pretty well and it was only $70 when i bought mine i think the might be $80 now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvillefishin View Post
    Does anyone know where I can buy a Large minnow baskest/box to keep bait in this winter. I'm looking for one I can put on the side of a dock.
    If you made one let me know how you did it.
    Thanks for the help
    I have seen live boxes made out of 55gal. plastic drums they cut a hole in the side which becomes the top and hinge it. They then make holes in the drum to let water in. I would think you could use a 30 gal drum and drill more small holes and it would work well.

Post Thanks / Like

How large does it need to be?

Post Thanks / Like

I looked in Bass Pro website for the 130 gallon bait holding net, but could not find anything. Is there another name for this holding net?

Post Thanks / Like

yeah they changed the name to a frabill bait quarters and the listing is the biggest one they make which now is a 36"x30". That will be a lot bigger than what you think it is. I was surprised when i got mine out. I like the way the new ones latch for the lid is a lot more than mine. the new one is velcro and the one i have was just a little plastic hook, which broke when a friend used it. Does not really matter though since the lid and top float but the lid falls in when you pick it up. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I found it on the online website

HURRICANEBOB Guest

This wil sound crazy, but can save you some bucks. Go to Walmart, or Target, or K-mart, and buy the biggst mesh folidng clothes hamper they have that has a zipper top lid to it. These often are nearly they sdame folding construction as the mesh bait cages sold by Basspro, but cost very much less. The hamper will not float, and will need a 1/4 brick in the bottom to keep it down. Just rig a cople lines to it, and tie it up to you dock to hold it upright, with the top just 4-5 inches above the surface, and place the 1/4 brick in the hamper to hole the bottom down. Drop the bait in the "hamper cage, and zip the lid closed. I have used this methdo at Cumberland to keep shad over night, tied up to the stern of my dock baot, and sometimes tied up to a cleat on a rented slip. Another plus, is the hamper's mesh is very soft, so bait that rubs up against it would be injures. Hope this helps.