Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts on conditions after rain

With this much rain this week what are your thoughts on fishing conditions. What affect will this rain have on fall turn-over?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thoughts on conditions after rain

Quote Originally Posted by Bonefish View Post
    With this much rain this week what are your thoughts on fishing conditions. What affect will this rain have on fall turn-over?
    You know I've been pondering this for two days now and I'm as wishy washy right now as a 14 year old school girl. One minute I think it's gonna help and the next minute I think it's gonna hurt. Personally I think in the immediate next few days of fishing it's going to be off. But after a week or so of stable weather it may just be what the doctor ordered. There is only one way to find out. I know this much, two weeks ago I was on some good fish. Then that week we had those bad storms and all that rain and wind, well over two inches at my place. I went back to the same location the next weekend and it had shut them down. I managed a few and had one gooden on that I LDR'd, but it was really tough, and they were on six days prior to that. Was it the weather or did the fish move I'm not sure. Long story short, I ain't real sure, lol???

Post Thanks / Like

The streams flowing into the Dix below the dam are not running very much so I think most of the water has gone into ground. Herrington may come up some but I don't think it will fill that much. Down in Bowling Green they have had 7" of rain so those lakes in that area may fill up faster. I think the bite may be off for a few days and then pick up. If there is enough run-off, the fall turn-over may not occur in lakes that have enough flow to mix the water and equalize the temperatures from top to bottom. It will be interesting for sure, but have a feeling this rain will help the fishing over all, especially after this cool spell and if conditions stable out.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been fishing for about two weeks so I don't know what the bite has been; however, I would think that after the second front from this weather system passes throught on Friday and some high pressure and clear blue skys sets in, it should shut them down for awhile.

As to the turnover, a look at the a few lakes listed on the COE site shows that Taylorsville, Green, Nolin and Barren all had (10/15/07) a surface temperature in the low 70s with a probable thermalcline at arouund 67-69 degrees, so I think that this cooler weather, especially with the night time temps in the 40s, the turnover should start early next week. That will shut them down for sure but hang on in about two to three weeks--Fall Feeding Frenzy here we go.

Fall Feeding Frenzy will be a little late this year, but better land then never.

Just my thoughts,

Grumpy