Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Guntersville crappie

Anyone ever fish Guntersville this time of the year. If so, what type of pattern did you find them in? Leaving thursday for a few days.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Guntersville crappie

Fish bridges and other necked down areas with stronger current. I like to use 1/32 to 1/16 oz jig heads with 1 1/2" Panfish Assassin bodies in natural colors with 4# mono. Fish areas from 9-22 feet deep ... you'll have to count down the bait to find where they are feeding. Occasionally I'll use live minnows and a slip float around bridge pilings to pull out some slabbers. Guntersville is one of the most overlooked crappie lakes in the country. Remember the 9" minmum laws or you'll get a ticket ... I don't keep 'em unless they are at least 10" anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShadLips View Post
    Fish bridges and other necked down areas with stronger current. I like to use 1/32 to 1/16 oz jig heads with 1 1/2" Panfish Assassin bodies in natural colors with 4# mono. Fish areas from 9-22 feet deep ... you'll have to count down the bait to find where they are feeding. Occasionally I'll use live minnows and a slip float around bridge pilings to pull out some slabbers. Guntersville is one of the most overlooked crappie lakes in the country. Remember the 9" minmum laws or you'll get a ticket ... I don't keep 'em unless they are at least 10" anyway.
    Thanks for the info. Do you usually tie up to the bridge or use trolling motor to position boat for casting to the pilings?

Post Thanks / Like

I tie to the bridges because even my Minn Kota on low power will spook them at times. After I cruise the area with my depth finder on, I'll usually turn it off when I anchor and fish, occasionally turning it on to check the depth of fish or schools of shad. Some bridges may require a bar-clamp attached to the concrete piling ... then tie to that. Crappie aren't always right beside pilings either, so don't be afraid to fish jigs in open water between them.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Shadlips, leaving in the morning for Guntersville.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShadLips View Post
    I tie to the bridges because even my Minn Kota on low power will spook them at times. After I cruise the area with my depth finder on, I'll usually turn it off when I anchor and fish, occasionally turning it on to check the depth of fish or schools of shad. Some bridges may require a bar-clamp attached to the concrete piling ... then tie to that. Crappie aren't always right beside pilings either, so don't be afraid to fish jigs in open water between them.
    Shadlips,
    I just got back from Gville last night, We had a great time and caught lots of crappie. You were right on the money about all your info. I was not set up to tie to bridges and used my trolling motor. The guys that were tied up caught alot more fish than me. The bait, line and depth info was all just right. I was not that good on bridges but learned to shoot docks while I was there and had a great time! Thanks again for sharing your info.

Post Thanks / Like

been fishing for crappie for a while now still have alot to learn i do have a question...... i use to use a 1/32 jig head and the bobby garland //sunshine in color and wear'm out ..... and now i use a 1/8 jig head and a wolly beaver tail and i catch a lot more and i cant get them with the 1/32 any more im i doing sumthin wrong ??????? sry this is the only way i no how to post ???? tyvm