Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

kentucky river below camp nelson bridge jessamine county

fished from 8:30 til about 1:00 . caught four shortys smoke purple tubes and rattles, garlic scent. wood close to deep water. then the wind kicked in 20mph. did pretty good a green last weekend!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: kentucky river below camp nelson bridge jessamine county

I have a buddy that lives in Frankfort,Ky. He isn't a fisherman. I've always wanted to take my boat and fish the Kentucky River at Frankfort. Is there any good fishing around that area? I live in Indiana. Would it be worth the trip other than visiting my buddy? Any smallmouth, ky spots?

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't fished the frankfort pool, but have always wanted to. Got out this weekend once to camp nelson pool, the other to non-such. Slow is the report for both spots. the water has dropped almost 10 degrees from last weekend and it sitting around 55. Spinnerbaits off wood was the ticket on saturday with 12 and 3 small keepers. Sunday... well we should have tried crappie fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not fished that pool have heard some good fishing in mouths of some creeks there.probably better in the spring or summer though.yes there are spots and smallies in the river .crappie reports iv'e heard now are supposed to be good?

Post Thanks / Like

I have actually done better myself on smallies this year out of the river than any other species. KYs are in there good and we have caught a bunch but not the sizes. I have heard of good sized crappie coming out in the bucket fulls the past few weeks. 10-14" average with some biggers ones and numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the deeper pools, such as High Bridge and Sulphur Well. Camp Nelson usually has action, but Ive found more size in the deep water pools. Avg depth at Nelson is 10-14, in the others, its 16-22. I agree PatientlyWading, the spinnerbaits on wood has been the ticket. And if you can find an isolated piece of wood in 10+ ft of water, all the better. Make sure you bang that spinnerbait into the wood as much as possible.

Smallies were on in late spring, but most of my fish have been KYs and Largemouth on the wood. Rock bars occasionally holding fish, but seems like mostly wood right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Any info would be helpful thanks, I just put my camper at Cummins Ferry for a winter getaway and have only had the boat out a few times on the Kentucky. Most of my fishing is for smallies and I havent connected so far with anything but a little hit and miss. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dester View Post
    Any info would be helpful thanks, I just put my camper at Cummins Ferry for a winter getaway and have only had the boat out a few times on the Kentucky. Most of my fishing is for smallies and I havent connected so far with anything but a little hit and miss. Thanks
    I don't know if it will help but Monday I put seven keeper white bass in the livewell and nailed three very scrappy largemouth b-t 11 and 14 inches on a 1/4 oz rapper in the wood and riprap a mile up from Cummins Ferry

Post Thanks / Like

If you get out in the morning, try shaddy DT10's near rock bars. If no action, then go to a Bandit 2-300 in orange/brown. If no action, then get off the rock bars.

Head to a 'bend' in the river and look on the downstream side of it for some timber. Roll over it once with the graph and see whats down there. If there is some good cover, stay with the crank until you locate some fish. If no action, start banging a smaller sized colorado blade spinnerbait into the wood.

If that fails, go to a watermelon/flake tube with a 1/8 bullet on light line. Slow it down and flip it in all the wood you can find.

best of luck mate.

Post Thanks / Like

did pretty decent on smoke purple tubes ,rattles,red garlic dipndye on wood deep as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

WoW thanks you guys it'll be a week before I can get back to you but if you are on this stretch of the riviere I'm in a 17' foot jon w/50 Evinrude, I have nine days holiday, thanks again