Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Beware of the Travelers Insurance Company cancellation policies

I had Travelers for a few years and decided to change to a different insurance company for my house and vehicles.

Today I received a bill in the mail and decided that I was going to call them and tell them why I canceled my policy as a courtesy.

I was told that if I didn't send them something in writing requesting they cancel my policy that they would continue to bill me for it. And if I didn't pay them I would be turned over to a collection agency.

I told them that my phone call was my way of canceling the policy.

The papers I received said that the policy had lapsed (their words) and that they were offering to reinstate the policy for a price.

Well I have already sent the money to a new insurance company that will give me better coverage for less money.

I don't think that I owe the Travelers a written statement in order to make them stop billing me.

They threatened to turn me over to a collection agency if I didn't pay.

Sorry but I don't do business that way.

I heard that some cell phone companies are treating their customers the same way making it very difficult to cancel the accounts. People ended up owning these cell phone companies money even after they went to another cell phone company.

I think this is a type of EXTORTION! and it should be made illegal.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beware of the Travelers Insurance Company cancellation policies

If you check your policy with Travelers you should find that it is a requirement for you to notify them in writing that you wish to cancel your policy. Insurance companies do this because they are required to give you a grace period (normally 30 days) in case you forget a payment, are late on a payment or your payment goes astray. Basically, if you do not notify them, they are liable for any claims in that grace period and you are liable for the insurance premium payment for that grace period. Your sending them written notification relieves them of any responsibility from the time you notify them and your charges should be prorated as such.

Post Thanks / Like

Insurance is a legal scam anyway. They make you pay all these outrageous premiums, and when/if you do have to file a claim, they do everything in the world to keep from paying you for it.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't remember having to give a written notice to State Farm? I showed them quotes from another insurance company that was going to insure all my stuff and they couldn't match it. It makes sense to me they would want that but it's been many years ago, maybe since it was a local branch and I came in? Who knows we could have decided the date of termination then. It's hard to remember because it wasn't an issue so it didn't get stuck in the memory.

I know an apartment lease I had and a membership to a gym wanted the written notice 30 days prior. I found out the hard way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bull_bluegill View Post
    Insurance is a legal scam anyway. They make you pay all these outrageous premiums, and when/if you do have to file a claim, they do everything in the world to keep from paying you for it.
    You are so, so wrong on this one. About 3 weeks ago I had an accident which rolled our truck, 5 times, over a deep embankment. It totaled out the truck and came close to doing the same thing to me. The next day (Monday) my husband notified our insurance company and they took over handling all the claims and paperwork for us. On the second day after the accident the adjuster called and said the truck was totaled and told us what they would pay for it which was less that $3,000 of what we paid for it new. Within 4 days my husband bought another new truck because he was going back to Atlanta to work. On the ninth day we received a check that paid us for the wrecked truck. Because I am still seeing the doctor the medical part hasn't been closed out but they pay the bills as quickly as they receive them.

If you haven't had traffic accidents or citations, you may need to look for a better insurance company. If you have, you can expect to pay higher premiums.

Post Thanks / Like

Moose, it's easy to say, "Sorry, I don't do business that way," but I'd advise you to go back and look at the papers that you signed when you started doing business with Travelers. I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that you signed an agreement to notify them in writing if you want to cancel. This is a fight you are destined to lose.

Post Thanks / Like

just an fyi, this thread is from 2007. Bumped up today by new user. Pretty sure Moose has got it all settled by now

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

I to found out the hard way DJD. Went to cancel a liability policy I had and they said they had to have it in writing. Figured my phone call was good enough. I played hard ball and they called my bluff. One day our payroll lady called and said I was being garnished $160 for said policy. That popped up 12 years later when I went for my home loan and has popped up couple times since. Cause I was a hard head. Ignorance is not tolerance of the law.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apb View Post
    just an fyi, this thread is from 2007. Bumped up today by new user. Pretty sure Moose has got it all settled by now

Andrew
    Lol good call. I missed that myself.

Post Thanks / Like