Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Stocking program in Kentucky

Can someone tell me why we in the state of Kentucky do not stock our native fish anymore? I talked with a state biologist several years ago and he said he would never put any native fish back in Barren or Nolin. Only Hybrid's in Barren and walleye in Nolin to create super fisheries for those species only wasthe fish and wildlife plan.Shad would be added as a food source but no native fish would be stocked again. They would have to survive by the spawn alone.Is this still the policy? It seems as if numbers of all fish are down in our local lakes and the population needs help such as Alabama had to do with crappie a few years ago. Am I the only one who thinks native fish need help?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stocking program in Kentucky

I agree, some of our crappie lakes are fished to death! All species should be monitored and kept at a healthy trophy level.

Post Thanks / Like

When you say "native fish," exactly which species do you mean? The fishes that were present in the rivers before the lakes were impounded?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RoadToad View Post
    When you say "native fish," exactly which species do you mean? The fishes that were present in the rivers before the lakes were impounded?
    I am referring to the fish that I have caught in kentucky over the last 50 years, bass, stripe, crappie, and catfish. I still remember when the stocking truck would come to barren. You could not get a crappie minnow in the water for the small bass.
    Walleye were stocked in Barren before and did not do very well, but FW is putting them back in the River. I have read Tenn is stocking black nose crappie and walleye in Dale Hollow. I have no problem with catching black nose fish. What I have a problem with is the Kentucky solution to the problem in Kentucky Lake, reduce the number of fish you can take home.