Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

General archery ?'s

I am looking at buying a bow for deer hunting and have no clue about all gizmos used/needed/wanted. I plan to shoot a compound in the 50-60# range, I do not have to launch arrows at the speed of light, and I am 6'4" with an approximate draw of 31". I am still trying to learn the lingo, so forgive me if I refer to something in the wrong manner. I plan to give this a serious go, so I am willing to buy the "good stuff" and not go cheap. I will go to a pro shop to be fitted for whichever bow I decide on. Without starting any arguements about which brand is better, here is what I would like to know.

With my height and draw length, approx what size bow should I look at in terms of overall length/ height (I assume this is the axle to axle and brace height)?

Carbon or aluminum arrows? Pros and cons of each.

Arrow nocks: Opinions on Lumenocks? What else should I look for in a nock?

Broadhead types: Fixed or mechanical? Should the tips be solid (like field points) or razor blades? Pros and cons?

Sights: Adjustable or fixed? I am leaning towards 1-3 pin fixed for simplicity to start. Probably fiber-optic as well.

Releases: Do I want/need wrist strap type? What else do I need to consider?

Bowstring loop for release use: String loop or solid loop? Pros and cons?

Quiver type: Attached or not? If attached, one piece or two? Have been told that some attached can alter bow's shooting?

Arrow rest: I am looking a fall-away type, such as Muzzy's Zero Effect. Opinions on Zero Effect compared to cable type fall away? Pros and cons on all types of rest.

Overdraws? Why or why not? I plan on not having an overdraw.

Any other equipment I need to consider?

I plan to buy after the holidays and be ready for the 2008 season. I plan to use the setup for recreational 3-D shooting as well.

I know I am asking a lot, but I would like some feedback from someone besides the salesman.

Thanks in advance.

Joe.
    Last edited by Fisherjoe; 11-15-2007 at 02:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: General archery ?'s

Your best bet is to go to a pro shop and look at all the bows they have and find what you like. Once you find a bow you like they can help you figure out the rest. But to get the good stuff you are looking at spending alot of money so make sure you are going to be happy with it. Some places will have a few setup so you can shoot them. As fare as opinions everybodys is different so just get what is going to make you happy, good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I will definitely go to a shop. There's a local shop that has been recommended by 4 friends whose input I trust. I'm just looking for opinions from people who have used different equipment types, such as a fall away rest vs a fixed and so on. I hope to avoid the arguement of Brand A vs. Brand B for the time being. Thanks for the reply.

Post Thanks / Like

i bought a used pse for my first bow at a pawn shop it came loaded for 150. even had arrows, feild points and broad heads. i cant remember the model but it was a great buy. after i learned a good bit about bows i got a better one. not sure if you wanted a use one but it is a good way to start shooting without spending alot of money.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as the type of bow, every one has there favorite and I don't think there are any bad ones. I currently shoot a Mathews & Hoyt. Both bows are great bows. I use the Mathews for 3D & Turkey hunting and the Hoyt for Deer & soon a bear hunt. The Mathews is set @70lb. & the Hoyt is set @80lb. You don't need 80lbs. for deer/bear but I once hit a shoulder and wish I would have had the 80lbs. I don't know if it would have made a difference but it would not have hurt.
    Rest - I like the Trophy Ridge fall away rest. This is the only fall away I ever used so I don't know if it is better than other rest or not, I only know it works for me.
    Sight - As far as sights, look at the pin's and the fiber optic. I would not own another sight with the pin made from any thing other than metal and make sure the fiber optic is well protected. Cobra makes a very good sight that is durable. The one I have is the side winder and it cost around $50. the other $130 dollar sight is in a box with a broken fiber optic cord.
    Arrows - I shoot carbon mainly for durability and I believe the smaller dia. improves penetration as long as you don't buy the real light weight shafts.
    Broad heads - I have only used expandables on Turkey and they work very well. As for deer I have only used fixed blade broadheads for the same reason I shoot 80lbs. If my arrow meets heavy bone I want it to have every change to bust through.
    Release - I have shot both hand held & wrist strap. I prefer the wrist strap basically because when I am hunting I always know where it is. With that being said when using your hand for other things you have to be careful not to make the metal to metal noise. There are pros & cons to both.
    Quiver - I always take mine off when I am in a stand or blind, it will make your bow shoot a little different if you usually practice with it off.
    Archery can be a very expensive sport, just starting out you may want to go with a cheaper rig just to figure out what you like / dis-like for your self. Every one has there own opinion and preferances and with experiance you will find out what yours are. Good luck with archey, it can become very addictive.

Post Thanks / Like

I was a novice during the summer and did alot of research. Archerytalk.com is a great forum also. You can find a ton of info by searching on google for say "beginning archery" and so forth. Read all you can and research before you invest. Some things you may not need right away. As far as preparing for hunting plan on shooting hundreds of times in practice and sighting in you sight, getting your form consistent the same every time and practice some more, keep your string waxed, and once you know your "effective kill range" go up a tree and shoot down at a target and make sure you know what yourself and your equipment will perform like. Then practice some more. Then you'll be ready to go hunting. Stuff gets pricey, so take your time. Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    I was a novice during the summer and did alot of research. Archerytalk.com is a great forum also. You can find a ton of info by searching on google for say "beginning archery" and so forth. Read all you can and research before you invest. Some things you may not need right away. As far as preparing for hunting plan on shooting hundreds of times in practice and sighting in you sight, getting your form consistent the same every time and practice some more, keep your string waxed, and once you know your "effective kill range" go up a tree and shoot down at a target and make sure you know what yourself and your equipment will perform like. Then practice some more. Then you'll be ready to go hunting. Stuff gets pricey, so take your time. Good Luck.
    I hope to be set up by Feb/Mar and hit the practice real hard to get ready for '08 archery season. I plan to get comfortable with ground shooting and then move to simulated stand shooting. I have two buddies who do the 3-D shoots so I hope to try them as well. Thanks for the input from all who answered.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

practice with those 3d targets and you will be dead on for sure. good deal.