Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

A Strange Year!!

This has definately been a strange year--weather wise, water wise and fishing wise.

I went to Green River Lake today and it totally blew my mind--usually Green is one of the first, if not the first, lake in the area to turn over in the Fall. However, unless I am very mistaken it has not yet turned over even though the surface temperature is around 55 degrees..

I like to fish Green in the Fall and Winter because they don't drop it as much as most of the other lakes and usually Ramp One is easy to use. For that reason, most years I start fishin Green around the 1st of November but, because of several things, today was my first trip there. I was expecting the usual pea soup color and was surprised to see how clear and black the water was. I know in some lakes that would mean that it had turned over and then cleared back up but that doesn't happen in Green (at least it hasn't in the past) it usually stays stained all winter. I am not sure why the lack of rain would cause this type of change but that is the only thing I can think of that may have done it.

I just checked the Corps of Engineer's site and it does look like there is still a Thermalcline. In past years, by now the oxygen level was even all the way down through the water column but as of 11/19/07 (thats today) it's good down to 45 feet and then goes to almost nothing below that, so it hasn't really mixed yet.

No big deal, I just had to comment because I thought it was so strange. Oh, and BTW, I was about 25 inches away from being skunked, but I am not going to say how many fish it took to make up those 25 inches.

It was a great day to be out anyway because God and I had that whole end of the lake to ourselves.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Strange Year!!

you are right it has not turned yet,all the way at least.it is a little off usually on the friday after t-giving when i'd go to nolin it would be in the low 40's to mid 40's it is still well in the 50's in places.had a good 4hr's there sunday.