Search Fishin.com

Thread: deer question

Post Thanks / Like

deer question

What do you fellas think about this? Shot a deer in Indiana with a bow on friday the 9th. Hit it in the shoulder and lost the blood trail the next day after about 200 yards. A friend of a friend hunts the land that butts up to mine. He tripped over it on the first day of gun season(17th). He admits it could-probably-maybe-cant prove it to be mine thing. Then I saw it and it definitely is it. He said sorry, finders keepers. Maybe if he didn't know me I might not be so upset. I just should have made a better shot. He told me to come over a take some pictures, SALT IN MY WOUND... The deer would be my biggest, 145 inch 10 pointer!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: deer question

That is a sticky situation. So did he find the deer on his property? Theres really not much you can do other than talk to the guy and tell him what you think. Im surprised the deer made it 8 days without being eatin by coyotes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daniel240 View Post
    That is a sticky situation. So did he find the deer on his property? Theres really not much you can do other than talk to the guy and tell him what you think. Im surprised the deer made it 8 days without being eatin by coyotes.
    Unless it was on HIS property.. its your deer.
    Hunting Etiquette states the person who KILLS the deer is whom it belongs to.
    Should he enter that deer in a contest, like the one in February, you should let the people running the show know that it was killed by you.. but taken by the ingrate who never shot it.
    Had he shot it.. well then the situation gets sticky.. but if he never fired on the deer it should go to YOU.. not him. Talk to the landowner that lets him hunt with you.. He may have some powers of persuasion.

Post Thanks / Like

First of all in order for him to keep the rack it has to be tagged regardless if it's a roadkill or what. Recent change with all the EHD deaths require ALL found deer to be tagged.

Get a CO involved on this. I doubt he's obtained a tag yet!