Search Fishin.com

Thread: scope question

Post Thanks / Like

scope question

really not sure what all the numbers mean. wanting to get some info on it. got a new muzzleloader and want to put a scope on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: scope question

Not sure what #'s you are referring to, but here is a little general info.

Ex: A 3-9 x 40 scope is a popular size for all around use and would be good on a muzzleloader. 3-9 refers to the magnification range of the scope...adjustable from 3x's mag to 9x's mag. This magnification can be adjusted by a dial on the end you look into and should not affect the zero of the scope.

The 40 refers to the size of the objective lens (exit end of scope)and is measured in mm's. The larger the objective, the larger your field of view (FOV) when looking at distances.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

thanks ya much joe. i think i am going with that one.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me give you some good advise before you buy a scope.

If you are going to be shooting at different ranges you may want to invest in a good scope that has an adjustable objective. I think that's what it's called. Parallax can give errors if it's not corrected and the adjustable Objective Type Scope's will help eliminate the parallax effect.

Take a regular rifle scope and sight it in at 100 yards for zero. Then try to aim at a target that's only 25 ft away. As you try to sight in on a target at 25 yards and move your head around while looking thought the scope you will see the cross hairs moving all over the place. You must always return your eye to the exact same spot in order to accurately put the cross hairs on the closer target.

If you set the rifle scope up to eliminate parallax effect at 25 yards and then try to shoot at a target that's 100 yards out there you will encounter the parallax effect again.

Scopes that have the adjustable objective can be set to eliminate the parallax effect at different ranges. So if you are shooting at a target that's 250 yards out you can adjust the objectives to eliminate parallax at 250 yards. That way no matter which way you look though the scope the cross hairs won't move around and will be on the target at 250 yards. You will have to readjust the objective if the target changes to say 100 yard.

Most rifle scopes are adjusted to eliminate parallax at only 100 yards. This could be a big reason why hunters have so many misses.

I read about this parallax thing but didn't pay much attention to it until I tried to sight in my rifle scope using a laser beam and noticed that if I moved my eye the cross hairs kept moving around. I was sighting the rifle scope in at 25 ft and using a target that was setup for this range. The laser sighting device's instructions said it was best to sight the scope in at 100 yards. When I did that the cross hairs didn't move around when I changed my position on the rifle's cheek. I could move my head position around and the cross hairs stayed right on the laser beam where they were suppose to as I adjusted the cross hairs. I learned a good lesson about the effects of parallax.

You can be off by inches at 25 ft and that can translate into feet at greater distances unless you are able to put your eye in the exact same spot every time you shoulder and shoot the rifle or shotgun.

An arc that's off by 1" at 25 ft can be way off at 400 yards. ie if your off by 1 MOA moment of angle at 25 ft you can be way off at 400 yards.

I need to get me a new scope because of this mistake that I made when I purchased my rifle scope.

Leupold makes good scopes. At least that's what I am reading.

Quote Originally Posted by tracker4stroke View Post
    thanks ya much joe. i think i am going with that one.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks you for the advise. i ended up getting a bsa 3-9x40 it is adjustable. i put this on my new muzzle loader. one of my buddies bore sighted it with a laser. it got me on the paper very well. took me abot 10 shots and i was about perfect as i could.2 out 3 shots was in the bulls. i would have got a better scope but this is my first inline muzzle loader and did not want to put that much money on it right away. but for anyone looking to get a first timer muzzle loader hunter a good gun. the cva buckhorn is a great gun. and it is very light. easy to clean. my last one was a thimpson center renegade 53 cal. and that was a beast to shoot.