Search Fishin.com

Thread: Need an Opinion

Post Thanks / Like

Need an Opinion

Just really started jig fishing this year. I have tried mono and dont know if it is really the best choice. What is everyones opinion on the best line to use when fishing a jig. I know there are a lot of thoughts on this, but would like an opinion from some of you guys that pitch a jig alot. I have never used braid, but i am willing to give it a try, along with fluro if it will help me with the feel of a jig. Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need an Opinion

I use mono, always have. It is just my personal preferance. The key to fishing a jig to me besides consentrating on what the jig is doing , is watching your line. I watch my line so I need a mono with good visibility, I use 17 to 20 lb test blue fluorescent. I`m sure some guys can do this with lines that are less visible but I can`t. Maybe getting old? I have always used this and have had good success with it.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to try the P-line. I have heard good things about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I use braid for flippin and Seguar for casting but its hard to see in low light situation but it is the best line I have found I snap to many off on the hookset with mono or cheaper florocarbons like vanish. Seguar Invzx is the line for me the price scared me at first but i dont reline near as much as I used to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmase View Post
    I use mono, always have. It is just my personal preferance. The key to fishing a jig to me besides consentrating on what the jig is doing , is watching your line. I watch my line so I need a mono with good visibility, I use 17 to 20 lb test blue fluorescent. I`m sure some guys can do this with lines that are less visible but I can`t. Maybe getting old? I have always used this and have had good success with it.
    I'm on board with dmase, I use 17-20# Excel Mono myself and love it. I have used Fluorocarbon and Braid but found too many problems with these lines I experiemented for 3-4 years before making up my mind.
    I use a 7ft MH Loomis rod and set the hook solid (not crazy leaning into the fish and bending over backwards like Bill Dance) and have no problems. I like the stretch of mono and since it's not as hard as the Flurocarbon I feel it's more forgiving with nicks and scratches. JMO

Post Thanks / Like

I will second the P-line CXX X-tra Strong for bait casting reels and Gamma for spinning reels. MNy thanks to Dave Steward for putting me onto these lines 2-3 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

I flip with vanish transitions. Its very sensitive, you can see it and i havent broken a single fish off with it. The thing I don't like is its not black light friendly.

A good line that is, is the P-Line cxx Premium. Its a flourocarbon coated copolymer that is sensitive and tough and its got the hi-vis blue for night fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

P-Line flouro-clear. It's a Co-polymer, which means it's flourocarbon coated. Tough as nails and sensitive and nearly invisible. Alot guys on here will slame it, but I love it and I think ole Shadrap does too. Give it a try you just might like it.