Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Should I retire? I have decided

Thank you to everyone for your replies and insights. I've finally made up my mind and here are my reasons.

First, an admission or acknowledgement of my occupation. I am a Pharmacist and work 3rd shift for a major drug chain. The company I've worked with for 21.4 years has just been doing "stupid" things for the last 5 years . I'm tired of trying to play their game.

At 15 years of service the employee benefits booklet states that the employee is eligible for 4 weeks vacation. That translates into 20 days. I always thought a week was 7 days but for vacation purposes a week is 5 days. Our weeks' schedule is posted for a 7 day period. Go figure.
    We must "apply" for our vacation requests for the 2008 year by November 30th of 2007. That means I have to know every single event that I may have to request time off for one year in advance. I have never had all 4 weeks requested granted. My requests for 2008 were two requests accepted and two denied. I can then request another 2 weeks time period but that is futile as all weeks are already taken in our district. So short story, I do not get four weeks off after 21.4 years service and seniority.

You customers need to be more civil. It is not my fault that your insurance company needs a prior authorization from your doctor for your new medication. Why would you think profanity directed at me and our staff will change what your insurance company requires. I have been polite and honest with you, and I expect the same in return.

Third shift is 80 hours in 7 days. One week on, one week off. I'm 58.5 years young. I can no longer work those hours and have a life. Yeh, the week off is nice and that is what has driven my decision to leave the work force.

I might change my mind in a year or two and return to work in a different setting but for now I plan to work through January 2008 and call it quits. The benefits for staying with the company adds up to nothing. I've saved from my thirty years of Pharmacy practice and now I wish to reap the rewards.

Please wish me and my wife good luck and good health.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should I retire? I have decided

Best of everything to you and your wife. Hope you enjoy your retirement as much as I have. Just make sure you have plenty of activities you truly enjoy doing and don't be afraid to try new things.

Post Thanks / Like

Now you can go fishing anytime you want now.... Now go fishing...

Post Thanks / Like

Before you make any decisions about retirement take a week off work if it is possible. Even if you have to use a little sick time. Getting off third shift can mean a new out look on life. I have worked it several times in the past and it makes my life miserable.

Look at the money situation. If you can afford to not work and you are unhappy than do it.

A change of jobs may be what you need. Being in the same work environment can get pretty stale after awhile.

Good luck and God Bless you in your decision. Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

Look at the money situation. If you can afford to not work and you are unhappy than do it.

That's where I'm at. I've got money in the bank and I want to spend it before I die. My dad passed at 61 and mom at 84. Put me in the middle and the money will last for my wife 3 years younger.

Post Thanks / Like

Medical insurance is a major factor to consider before retiring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    Medical insurance is a major factor to consider before retiring.
    That has been taken care of. The company would pay squat.

That was the number one reason for staying or quitting.

Post Thanks / Like

then go for it!!!!! I retired at 55, eight years ago, and don't regret a minute
    of it

Post Thanks / Like

hey...........shoot me a message..........ggwhite@worldnet.att.net.

I have a buddy......also a Pharmacist, and he may have an opportunity to make some quick JACK on YOUR terms............He is a hired gun, and works a couple days a week, WHEN he wants to......

Lots of opportunity........and the BEST thing......you make some cash WHEN you want to and FISH whenever...........

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Best of luck and wishes to you and yours Tyme....

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck and I am happy for you. I am hoping to cut back in about five years to a four day work week. I will be 55 then. Lord willing!