Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sonora flint

Post Thanks / Like

sonora flint

I am looking for someone who may have some land in the Sonora ares where I can pick up some flint. I am not looking for arrowheads, I am looking for the raw flint to knap my own points. I started flintknapping last summer, and have a hard time finding material, Any help would be great. I don't need a large quantity, just a few pounds. thanks Trent Colvin Greensburg.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: sonora flint

I dont know about the flint part but you been napping for years. (especialy when fishing) LOL
    Your Fishing Partner
    Eddie

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any definite sources out that way, but many creeks in Hardin and Meade Counties will have similar material. Its all out of the Ste. Genevieve limestone formation. Sonora is a local name for the chert (or flint, whatever you want to call it). Ste. Genevieve chert is what they call "Harrison County", "Indiana Hornstone", or "Wyandotte". All names for the same material. All high quality material for knapping.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

i don't know the laws on it but last year at nolin while putting in brush piles i talked to a guy in rock creek who was digging for arrowheads and he had a bucket full of flint and some good artifacts as well.I work with a guy from etown who does that i bet he has some or maybe can get some for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen several places on the little barren where there was flint in the gravel piles and some on the cumberland when the water is low. I have also noticed it on the green river between Munsfordsville and Mammoth Cave. But be careful and know the boundaries if you get in the park you can get a hefty fine. Also searching the lake beds for artifacts can get you in trouble too. While I volunteered for the Corp one year we had some folks with metal detectors come up on a rainy day wanting to sweep the beach area, while it was empty. I did not think there would be a problem and gave them the go ahead. Well a ranger came by and had a fit and started to write the guys up. So I told him it was my mistake and I was to blame, there had not been any mention of collecting artifacts or in this case looking with metal detectors for lost change or what ever when we were breifed about the rules nor was it covered in the hand book issued to us. So for those guys it was a free pass. so if you plan on going to a lake bed make sure and contact the corp or the state, and make sure of the laws in that area.

Post Thanks / Like

Federal and state lands are off limits for digging. On lakes like Cumberland, the Corps owns the bank well into the tree line. If you are on private property, and have the permission of the landowner, digging is legal. The one exception is if you come across human remains. If you hit human remains, no matter how old, on any land, it is against the law.

One other note, if you are collecting chert/flint, please do not knap it where you find it. You'll end up creating an archaeological site. Best to use a tarp to collect the flakes/chips from knapping and dispose of in a known dump.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info... I can't use any rock from a creek or river unless it is covered by water all year. I am looking for field rock... any help?

Post Thanks / Like

I would start with the Kentucky Geological Survey: http://www.uky.edu/KGS/
    If you can't find the info you're looking for at the site, click on the "Contact KGS" link and send them an email. I bet they'll be happy to help.

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trent colvin View Post
    ... I can't use any rock from a creek or river unless it is covered by water all year...
    In most state and federal parks it is illegal to remove anything, including rock. If you are around a lake that has outcrops, you can probably collect the rock that has not been worked. Artifacts, whether underwater all year or not are protected. Some of the best places I've found is by looking at Geological Quadrangle maps and finding areas where streams cut through formations that have chert in them (the maps have a description of each formation and will list chert if present). Easy access can be found where bridges cross the stream. Check for gravel bars. You'll find a lot of chert in those. Formations in your area that have chert: Ste Genevieve (your Sonora chert is in that formation), St. Louis, and Fort Payne. All Mississippian aged formations.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

What is knapping? I honestly haven't heard of this before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steemer1 View Post
    What is knapping? I honestly haven't heard of this before.
    Flintknapping is how stone tools (Indian arrowheads, for example) are made. Various stones and antler are used to shape the flint or chert into the desired shape.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I learn something new every day