Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question High Water Lakes

I was just looking at the Corps of Engineers web site for lake levels and noticed that several lakes that had been at or near Winter Pool just a couple of weeks ago, are now well over Summer pool, i.e. Taylorsville, 14' over; Nolin 6' over; Green 4' over; and Rough 19' feet over. Also, they are not pulling any of these lakes very fast.

I have no idea what the condition of the water is, (muddy, debris, etc) but I was just wondering what that high water coming up so fast would do to the fishing and where the fish may be at? Any comments or ideas?

Gruimpy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: High Water Lakes

Grump are you saying that Taylorsville is 14 feet above summer pool, are you sure? Wow if that's so they have got to be having some monumental flooding down that way, maybe I misunderstood. Rough 19 feet over summer pool????? One thing I do know for sure is we need a serious break from this rain for awhile, it's like a swamp near where I live, I think the drought is officially over in my neck of the woods, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

i was at nolin the 9th when and it came a couple frog stranglers and went from fishable to rolling muddy in a couple hours.i would say the fish are scattered at best since they rose so fast.yes it is well in the parking lot at settlers trace,probably have closed it by now.i would think rough may not be as muddy since it was up some and not as much dirt showing.since the dam is shut the river mud may not travel very far before it settles.i would say all the fishin would be a little slow.

Post Thanks / Like

MHALL, You are right, the drought is over--at least for now. One of the TV weathermen said we (Louisville area) are now a couple of inches above average for the year, which means we got a lot of rain the last couple of weeks, like we didn't already know that.

Yeah, if the COE site is correct, there is some serious flooding going on. Taylorsville Summer pool 547--today's pool 561= 14 feet; Rough Summer pool 495--today's pool 514==19 feet. Their figures, not mine.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    MHALL, You are right, the drought is over--at least for now. One of the TV weathermen said we (Louisville area) are now a couple of inches above average for the year, which means we got a lot of rain the last couple of weeks, like we didn't already know that.

Yeah, if the COE site is correct, there is some serious flooding going on. Taylorsville Summer pool 547--today's pool 561= 14 feet; Rough Summer pool 495--today's pool 514==19 feet. Their figures, not mine.

Grumpy
    Wow, I guess really it's not that surprising. I've gauged inches upon inches of rain at my house over the last few weeks. I've had a fuzz over 6 inches in the period from Dec 6th through Dec 15th. This was on top of over 3 inches I gauged just several days before that. What a wierd year for sure weather wise. Hey Grump if you can believe these long term forecasts it's calling for way above average percipitation through the winter for this region and they suspect most of it will be in the form of rain. I guess we might as well get use to it, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

i went to tville one spring morning, and water was covering the parking lot at van buren, if that's any indication on how high that water gets. crazy for sure.

i fished and caught one out of one of the portapotties. lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I may have been there too that day this spring. We tried to put in there but it was way up, past the boat ramp at Van Buren. Ended up putting in at the Park ramp. We actually caught some fish that day too.

Post Thanks / Like

It most likely will be awhile before they get the lake levels under control. I am not familiar with the watershed that Taylorsville is on but I would guess that Green and Nolin will have above summer pool water for at least another couple of weeks. Rough will most likely still be in the trees come Feburaury.

The tailwaters of Geen River Lake... know as Green River in western KY has high water levels. Along the way the tailwaters of Barren Nolin and Rough run into Green River. The western part of KY has had some flooding from Green River so they can not discharge water from Green River Lake Nolin or Rough that would cause more high water and they dont need that.

Even if they did not have flooding/high water in western Ky they still could not discharge water from Rough. They drew the water down to winter pool very quickly back in September (if my memory is correct) to do some work on the spillway coming out of the dam. If they open the gates they would wash away all the work that they have done and would have to start over again. I am thinking the spillway project is suppose last until Jan 31. Rough River Lake water levels could get interesting for the CORPS. They have held the water back since September and with the rain they have gotten the lake is now setting only 10 feet away from flood stage...one more big rain would have the Engineers sweating.

Post Thanks / Like

it will all depend on how much more we get and how the ohio r.does.Salt river is up but not much current so they won't be able to pull the ville too much.appearanty it is leveling with the ohio,i would bet nolin and green will be up for awhile.it is raining here now.i would hate to have a dock at rough river,last time it was way up they were hung in trees and way up the hill.

Post Thanks / Like

I live downstream from the Rough River Dam, and it is flooded here in Ohio co, looks like a big lake behind my house, say COE how about making a lake here? lol lol. If they let any water out we would be wiped out in Hartford. Yes the drought is over for us right now but sure wish some of this would hit the South East Us.

Post Thanks / Like

They are predicting heavy rains down here around Rough today so it looks like that it could rise even more.